USB Storage sharing - SMB1 protocol is not supported in Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-28 12:19:46
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 170504 Rel.68210n

Hi,

I configured a USB storage device as explained in the guides and it looks like that from router perspective the settings are OK.

However, when trying to access the storage via the network path (from windows 10) I get an error message saying that the network device is not secured and using SMB1 and not SMB2.

Are there some router settingst that I can do in order to enable SMB2? Does the router support SMB2? I cannot change my OS to support SMB1 since it is controled by IT admin.

Thanks, Avi. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:USB Storage sharing - SMB1 protocol is not supported in Windows 10
2020-03-29 14:16:53

@Lousky 

That's correct Windows 10 doesn't support SMB1 anymore due to it being unsecure, if you Google there are ways round it but I wouldn't advise you do them tbh, at your own risk as they say when sightseeing a live volcano.

Options
2020-03-29 20:36:40

@Hannibal_Lack Thanks a lot for your answer, I googled and want to prevent adding SMB1 support to my laptop :-). Does VR600 have some kind of configuraiton or firmware update that enable SMB2 instead?

Options
2020-03-30 08:10:45

@Lousky 

Sorry to tell you this modem does not support SMBv2 so far. We do have plan to support SMBv2 and we are working on it.

Here is the solution for you to access the USB devices connected to the modem.

a)    If you do not want to use SMB 1.0 anymore, you can use FTP to easily access the USB memory on your TP-Link router using the Internet browser. Alternatively, you can also use the FTP protocol with e.g. Cyberduck, FileZilla or WinSCP access the memory.

b)    You may also continue using SMB1.0, please enable SMB 1.0 support on your Windows 10 computer follow these steps:

1. Enter sys in the search box of the Windows taskbar and then select "Control Panel".

2. In the upper right corner, under "Display", select "Category" ().

3. Click on "Programs" and then on "Programs and Features".

4. Click "Turn Windows features on or off".

5. In the Windows Features window, enable "Support for SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing" and click "OK.

6. Click "Restart Now" to complete the installation.

Have a good day.

Options
2020-11-30 23:53:11 - last edited 2020-11-30 23:53:37

Do you have any update for us regarding SMBv2 support? This is really a crucial update that the powerful Archer VR600 model should support. Best regards

Options
2020-12-02 10:30:20

@chrisTP 

Hi, as far as I know, there is a plan to add the support for SMBv2 on the VR600 v2, while we still cannot provide you an ETA, it is suggested to keep an eye on the official website for any future updates, thanks for your understanding as always.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3899

Replies: 5