Deco-M5 remains connected to the device that is not nearby.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-07 07:34:10 - last edited 2020-04-07 07:59:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Built 20200221 Rel.65392

The TP-Link Deco M5, which I bought and started to use yesterday, should be sorry to say that it was a big disappointment for me.
I installed the devices in AP mode. I have a modem in the entrance of my house and CAT6 cables from this modem to every room. The house is L shaped and there are 5 rooms in total. I installed the Deco M5 in the second and fourth rooms after the entrance and made the installation.

------

FiberNet —>Router (H267A)————DecoM5(mainDeco) [AP mode]
                                       |————-—DecoM5-1 (slave) [AP mode]

------

Problems I had;
1- If I come to the bottom of one of the devices and turn on my internet, 5Ghz connection is established. But if I go next to the other device (which is 2 side rooms) it still continues to connect with the first device. The connection speed sometimes drops to 2.4, but the speed is very low, as it does not connect to the device at the bottom. (very often)
The only reason for giving this much money to this device is that it doesn't automatically choose the most suitable (2.4GHz / 5GHz) frequency to the nearest station.
2- When I move away from the side of the device, after a certain distance, it starts to not be able to draw 5Ghz, it switches to 2.4 GHz connection. However, when it comes back to the device, it does not return to 5GHz connection. To do this, I had to turn the wifi off and on. (Not always but often)
I waited 2 minutes for both conditions. I could not stand any more, I turned the wifi off and on. I think 2 minutes is a very, very long time.

I bought this device at home for media stream, backup and file transfer. Considering that my internet connection speed is 100Mbps, this connection may seem partially sufficient, but what I need is a home network that will provide gigabit connection.. If my goal was just to connect to the internet, I would buy a much cheaper AP. Unfortunately, I was not able to use the mesh technology as described.
Unfortunately, I did not like the product under all these conditions.
Also, I think the wifi signal strength is weak. The current modem in my house broadcasts better. (H267 A)

1.4.4 Built 20200221 Rel.65392

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco-M5 remains connected to the device that is not nearby.
2020-04-08 01:51:27

@niedy707 

It seems that the signal strength you get from the first device does not reach the threshold value triggering the AP steering, and considering the distance get further, it switches to 2.4GHz to get more stable internet connection. It is suggested to locate the two Deco M5 further away from each other. you can try to locate them in the second and 5th room to give it a shot. 

And you can turn off the wifi function on the main router and use the mesh network only and test its performance without the interference of the surrounding wifi network. If possible, you can configure the main router as bridge mode and use one of the Deco M5 as the main one. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options