Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-08 07:35:18 - last edited 2020-04-09 02:04:49

Hi,

I Have Deco M1300 and yesterday I finally recieved fiber connection in my house. I noticed when trying to connect the DECO directly to the modem that it did not recive any network, although, If I connect my old router in between them then it works just fine. Has somebody had this type of problem?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...-Solution
2020-04-09 02:03:21 - last edited 2020-04-09 02:04:49

@Alhox 

Hi, you can connect your computer to the modem directly, bypass the Deco M5 or the old router and verify whether it works.

If it works well, you can connect the Deco M5 to the old router and connect the computer to the Deco M5 to clone the MAC address under more-Advanced-MAC clone on the Deco app. 

Then you can remove the old router and connect the Deco to the modem directly.

Or you can contact ISP to verify whether they have bound the MAC address of your old router to your account, you can unbind it and give Deco's WAN mac address.

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...-Solution
2020-04-09 02:03:21 - last edited 2020-04-09 02:04:49

@Alhox 

Hi, you can connect your computer to the modem directly, bypass the Deco M5 or the old router and verify whether it works.

If it works well, you can connect the Deco M5 to the old router and connect the computer to the Deco M5 to clone the MAC address under more-Advanced-MAC clone on the Deco app. 

Then you can remove the old router and connect the Deco to the modem directly.

Or you can contact ISP to verify whether they have bound the MAC address of your old router to your account, you can unbind it and give Deco's WAN mac address.

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...
2020-04-09 12:20:26
Thank you Kevin_Z! I will definitely try this asap! BR
Options
Re:Connecting M5 directly to Fiber/modem wont work but a router in between works...
2020-04-11 16:45:11
Worked like a charm Kevin_Z :) many Thanks!!!
Options
2021-04-21 18:10:37

Kevin_Z wrote

@Kevin_Z Hi, in order to clone the MAC address, should the computer be connected to the Deco M5 via Ethernet cable or wirelessly?

Do I need to reboot the Deco after cloning the MAC address?

Actually mine is Deco E4, does this solution for the M5 apply to my E4 as well?

Options
2021-04-22 03:11:01

@Pewpew 

Hi, it is suitable for Deco E4 as well.

And the laptop needs to be connected via Ethernet cable;

For more details about the MAC clone, please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2925/ 

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2021

Replies: 5