Extend Deco P9 with TL-WPA4220 powerline extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-23 10:54:23 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:20:17
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel. 71168

Hi support team,

i'm using 3 Deco P9 units (1 month old, configured as access point) and would like to extend the wifi-range with a TL-WPA4220 powerline extender.

Here it's mentioned that the WPA4220 is compatible with the Deco P9: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/177668

But i can't figure out how to pair the WPA4220 with the Deco P9 in order to make powerline work?

It doesn't work if the WPA4220 is plugged-in into a wall outlet and the "pair" button is pressed. The powerline led doesn't blinks.

I also tried to connect the WPA4220 via ethernet with the main Deco P9.

The Deco P9 doesn't have a WPS function, so i can't use this either.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Daniel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Extend Deco P9 with TL-WPA4220 powerline extender-Solution
2020-10-15 03:19:55 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:20:17

@LawTortoise 

Hello, sorry for any confusion caused by the previous inquiry or answers on the community, we will try to explain it clearly.

Firstly, please note that we have mentioned numerous times that Deco can ONLY build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices, such as range extenders or powerline extenders. However, there is no problem to connect a range extender or powerline extender to the Deco via Wi-Fi or wired to extend the Wi-Fi range, Deco is acting like a normal router to provide internet to those devices.

Secondly, please clarify how many Deco devices in your network, what are they, how many WPA4220s in the same network, and how do you want to connect them together, then we will try to help with that. If the Deco P7 is the main router, all the other Deco M5s are connected to the network via Wi-Fi, while you still want to add the WPA4220s to the Deco network, you will need to connect one WPA4220 to one of the Deco nodes, then pair other WPA4220s with this specific WPA4220, which generate the internet from the Deco.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Extend Deco P9 with TL-WPA4220 powerline extender
2020-04-30 09:16:40

@DanielAiching 

Deco P9 can work with the TL-WPA4220, but unable to build a powerline network with the TL-WPA4220. Deco P9 can only build a powerline network with Deco P7/P9.
In the network diagram Deco P9--main unit( PLC) -- power line -- extender unit, the Deco P9 works as a normal router to provide internet to the main powerline unit by an Ethernet cable.
You can also connect two Deco units via the PLC devices, such as main Deco--main unit(PLC)---powerline---PLC extender--slave Deco, in this network diagram, the PLC devices work as an Ethernet cable to connect the two Deco units.

Good day.

Options
Re:Extend Deco P9 with TL-WPA4220 powerline extender
2020-10-14 10:00:57

@Kevin_Z  hi - I have P7 as the main deco, with M5s around the house (they tend to slave off the second P7 which is connected to the main deco via power line.

the previous house owner had lots of WPA-4220s around the house. I can't understand from the above how I can use these to extend my Deco wifi network. They don't have to work by power line, I just want to be able to use them as WiFi to Wifi hotspots.

thanks!

Options
Re:Extend Deco P9 with TL-WPA4220 powerline extender-Solution
2020-10-15 03:19:55 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:20:17

@LawTortoise 

Hello, sorry for any confusion caused by the previous inquiry or answers on the community, we will try to explain it clearly.

Firstly, please note that we have mentioned numerous times that Deco can ONLY build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices, such as range extenders or powerline extenders. However, there is no problem to connect a range extender or powerline extender to the Deco via Wi-Fi or wired to extend the Wi-Fi range, Deco is acting like a normal router to provide internet to those devices.

Secondly, please clarify how many Deco devices in your network, what are they, how many WPA4220s in the same network, and how do you want to connect them together, then we will try to help with that. If the Deco P7 is the main router, all the other Deco M5s are connected to the network via Wi-Fi, while you still want to add the WPA4220s to the Deco network, you will need to connect one WPA4220 to one of the Deco nodes, then pair other WPA4220s with this specific WPA4220, which generate the internet from the Deco.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2053

Replies: 3

Related Articles