QoS settings for TP-Link Powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-25 19:12:00
Model: TL-PA8010P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Dear community,

dear TP-Link,

Using the PLC-Tool to configure my Powerline adapters, I found the QoS option to optimize traffic. It's offering: "Internet", "Online Game", "Audio or Video" and "Voice over IP".

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, there's a specification or documentation available, what these options are containing. I own a degree in computer science, and to be honest, this feature is absolutely useless without further information.

What is "Internet"? HTTP / HTTPS in a browser only? All data transmitted to the gateway?

What is "Audio or Video"? Transferring an MP3 or MKV file over the local network? A video stream in a browser?

What is "Voice over IP"? RTP on port 5004/5? SIP on port 5060/61? Will an application like Skype be included? A WhatsApp video call?

I'm aware of the fact, that this is a consumer product. But what could a standard user possibly do with these options? Eventually he will just choose anything or leave the default value - without knowing what it means. So, either please provide some more information about this, or remove it from the software. As it is now, it will just lead to wrong usage.

Looking forward to any ideas.

Cheers,

Johannes

Options
4 Reply
Re:QoS settings for TP-Link Powerline adapters
2020-04-26 11:44:48

Hey @Johannes_r , I am new around here but I think @Kevin_Z  can help with that (check his last post).

Sorry for the off-topic but how are you enjoying that kit?

More specifically, how is the speed reported in the software, compared to what you get on the end device?

Options
2020-04-26 14:26:55

@peetezaah can you link for me which post you mean exactly? I didn't find more specific information around here yet.

To answer your question, I'm using TP-Link Powerline products for quite some time now. I experienced some issues with the previous 600 Mbit series, concerning sudden loss of connection between the adapters. But it seems that this problem doesn't occur any more with the 1300 Mbit series.

Concerning the speed I can say, that there's a huge difference between the theoretical value of 1300 Mbit and the actual speed. In my installation I'm getting results between 30 and 600 Mbit - in the software. I can't really make a statement how reliable those numbers are, since I never really benchmarked it properly on my own. Just from a very general point of view I'd say: Yes, it's at least not too far from reality.

Options
2020-04-26 17:48:58

@Johannes_r after clicking on his username I noticed you can't actually see threads started by the user, which is weird.
Anyway, it was this thread that he himself started on the sub-forum we are now (Powerline Adapters). It's not helpful for your query, but at least you have someone you can ask stuff directly about this software. 

Options
2020-04-26 19:18:12

@peetezaah thank you. I still have hope to get some more information from TP-Link. I guess the main problem is, that only someone from the development team can really answer my question. They should know the exact specifications, but no idea if this can be shared. I also tried to contact the support already, but their answer wasn't helpful at all. 

Options