Modem connects DSL then drops repeatedly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-23 21:19:03
Region : Australia

Model : TD-VG3631

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TD-VG3631_V1_130108

ISP : iinet

I have set up this modem correctly as it will occasionally sync and internet will be connected for a short time 5-10 seconds then loses sync.
Have asked ISP to check line and they say it is fine. I have upgraded to current firmware but same result.
I purchased for wireless N and print server features.

Have reverted back to 4+ year old Netgear DG834GV which works perfectly with same cabling, filter etc.
ISP suggest connect VG3631 on ADSL 1 but if I need to do that I may as well take it back and buy a cheaper wireless AP.

I also set my existing Netgear as modem only and connected to EWAN port of VG3631 and it did the same thing (kept dropping connection), this suggests that it is a VG3631 hardware or software problem (completely separate to DSL/Line issues).

Is my VG3631 faulty? Will I get a refund if returned?
Options
4 Reply
Re:Modem connects DSL then drops repeatedly
2013-01-23 22:04:50
TD-VG3631 works with a modem router but ADSL is not on continuously. On its web-based utility, go to Network->DSL Settings, and modify default DSL Modulation Type.

If your ISP connection type is PPPoE, you can use bridge on Netgear and PPPOE on TD-VG3631 as a router.
Otherwise, I am afraid it will not working.
Options
2013-01-24 21:32:30
Yes I have tried both methods direct connection and PPPoE on VG3631 with Netgear as a bridge both have the same problem. I do not want to go to ADSL1 especially since the old modem works fine on ADSL2+. I guess I will just return to shop and try and get a refund.
Options
Same for me in NZ
2013-06-26 12:32:11
I have the same issue - upgraded firmware to 130413, still drops. Can connect properly if I set it to G.Dmt, but then my internet speed drops from 6 MB/s to about 3 MB/s. :mad:

Have tried talking to someone on the phone, got a call center in Asia - their English was "not good", so have emailed them....

Can't believe that this is only happening to two people - has everyone else got them working or are people simply returning these on mass?
Options
2013-06-27 12:54:31

Kevin_in_NZ wrote

I have the same issue - upgraded firmware to 130413, still drops. Can connect properly if I set it to G.Dmt, but then my internet speed drops from 6 MB/s to about 3 MB/s. :mad:

Have tried talking to someone on the phone, got a call center in Asia - their English was "not good", so have emailed them....

Can't believe that this is only happening to two people - has everyone else got them working or are people simply returning these on mass?

Hi.
So when your computer is wired to the modem, Internet connection still keeps dropping? And when it drops, can you ping the LAN IP of the modem and 8.8.8.8 on the PC?

Have you contacted with your ISP to check the ADSL line? Or if you also have another modem, you can use it test the line.
BTW, who is your ISP?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 393

Replies: 4

Related Articles