DL speed at client slow compared to at modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-20 11:25:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all,

I have a 3 Deco setup connecting my Virgin Media cable modem in the front of the house to the office at the back of the house. 

When I do the speed test in the Deco app i get 376Mbps, very happy with this, however in my office i only get 40-60Mbps depending on the test server when I run Speedtest on my devices both my PC and mobile phone. This is the same with the clients on wi-fi or connected via ethernet cable (for the PC) to the slave Deco in my office. The speeds reported on the devices of the wi-fi is over 500-700Mbps as I'm on 5Ghz, 1Gbps on the ethernet.

So it seems i'm being slowed down somewhere between the main Deco and the client PC, any ideas on where i should start looking?

Many thanks,

Willem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:DL speed at client slow compared to at modem
2020-05-22 10:42:16

@WillemV 

As we know, Wi-Fi is easily affected by the actual environment. In your case, would you please describe your network diagram? On the Deco app, please click on the Internet icon and then click on a slave Deco, then you can see what's the source Deco of this slave Deco and what's the signal strength. 
Are the Deco units connect to each other via wired or wireless? Do they on the same floor?

Have you configured the QoS feature on the Deco? If so, please disable the QoS for the devices and applications on the Deco app for a try.

Options
2020-05-22 11:31:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, thanks for the response!

The network is as follows:

Cable Modem --> Wired --> Main Deco --> wireless --> Bedroom Deco --> wireless --> Office --> wired --> PC

Distance from Main to Bedroom deco is less than 10m in a straight line, going through one floor and one wall. Bedroom deco to office deco is about 5m going through 2 walls. There is no other equipment inbetween the Decos that could create interference, just empty space and some light furniture.

I presume signal strength is the 3 bars of Wi-fi icon? both teh Bedroom and office are 2 green bars of signal. if i switch off the bedroom deco the office connects to the main deco and the signal is 1 orange bar and the download speeds drop to 12-13Mbps

I actually did a couple of further tests with my mobile phone on the wifi and i got the following results for download speeds connecting to the 3 decos in the house:

Main Deco : 286Mbps

Bedroom Deco: 130Mbps

Office Deco: 53Mbps (as high priority)

Office Deco: 43Mbps (as normal priority, QoS reset)

For comparison Office Deco PC Wired: 78Mbps (high priority)

I think this drop-off is quite drastic, I didn't expect the speeds to reduce so much just passing through the Decos as they are.

Other than moving the decos around or wiring them up together (which defeats the point of them, i might as well run cat 5 to my office) is there anyway to strengthen the connection between them?

Many thanks,

Willem.

Options
2020-05-26 12:23:55

@WillemV 

Hi,

From the information you described, it seems the speed is affected by the actual environment, as we know, the wireless signal is interfered by the environment easily.
If you could run a cat 6 ethernet cable from the front Deco to your office, I think it may help to provide much better speed in the office.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 331

Replies: 3