RE300 extender - can't connect, can't locate on tether app, loses connection to the internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE300 extender - can't connect, can't locate on tether app, loses connection to the internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 10:34:40 - last edited 2020-05-22 12:15:56
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

hi, recently bought an RE300 to extend my coverage.

using a skyQ router.

the extender intermittantly loses internet connection and cant connect devices to it.

also, intermittantly, cant locate on tether app.

had 2 different chats to TP support online, neither was particularly helpful. they thought i'd be better speaking to SKY instead.

however, one mentioned , that maybe it relates to DHCP auto assigning IP to the extender.

so, i somehow figured out how  i set a static IP address on my SKY router, (tp couldnt help here - and it took a while to figure things out, not being an IT expert).

however, same issue appeared the next morning. restarting the extender seemed to fix it for a a few hours.

i've only just realised there are more features if you log into the extender directly using the IP address, instead of the tether app. so i registered and logged into the extender, online.

looking in the settings here, it looks like the extender also has an option to auto assign an ip.

Neither online IT support agent mentioned the extender can also assign this.

i've deselected the auto assign IP box and set the IP to the same as it appears in the sky router.

so far i'm connecting fine on laptop and phone.

I'll update here if the same issue appears, but thought i'd make  the wider community aware of the issue and POSSIBLE solution

ok so a few hours has passed and it's lost internet connection now, even though all 4 lights are on..

so, now what?

Options
9 Reply
Re:RE300 extender - can't connect, can't locate on tether app, loses connection to the internet
2020-05-22 14:33:42
My N300 is not connecting to my Wireless network
Options
Re:RE300 extender - can't connect, can't locate on tether app, loses connection to the internet
2020-05-22 14:34:01
Options
2020-05-28 12:20:07

@7m4hnj6e 

What's the model NO. of your extender? TL-WA850RE or WA855RE?

Please check this to setup extender:
How to configure Range Extender via Tether APP

Options
2020-11-12 11:14:40

@OmfG Did you resolve this - I have the same issue. Extender works for a while and then I find I have no internet connection. Thanks.

OmfG wrote

hi, recently bought an RE300 to extend my coverage.

using a skyQ router.

the extender intermittantly loses internet connection and cant connect devices to it.

also, intermittantly, cant locate on tether app.

had 2 different chats to TP support online, neither was particularly helpful. they thought i'd be better speaking to SKY instead.

however, one mentioned , that maybe it relates to DHCP auto assigning IP to the extender.

so, i somehow figured out how  i set a static IP address on my SKY router, (tp couldnt help here - and it took a while to figure things out, not being an IT expert).

however, same issue appeared the next morning. restarting the extender seemed to fix it for a a few hours.

i've only just realised there are more features if you log into the extender directly using the IP address, instead of the tether app. so i registered and logged into the extender, online.

looking in the settings here, it looks like the extender also has an option to auto assign an ip.

Neither online IT support agent mentioned the extender can also assign this.

i've deselected the auto assign IP box and set the IP to the same as it appears in the sky router.

so far i'm connecting fine on laptop and phone.

I'll update here if the same issue appears, but thought i'd make  the wider community aware of the issue and POSSIBLE solution

ok so a few hours has passed and it's lost internet connection now, even though all 4 lights are on..

so, now what?

Options
2020-11-17 07:31:22

@Nickg69 

Hi,

Later I would send you the firmware and please try to update the firmware to see whether it helped or not.

Please feel free to update with further improvement.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-17 09:14:01

@Solla-topee Hello - no need to send me the firmware as I have returned the RE300 back to Amazon. Far too many people have made comments about the TP link constantly providing "no internet" that I decided to get something better.

Solla-topee wrote

@Nickg69 

Hi,

Later I would send you the firmware and please try to update the firmware to see whether it helped or not.

Please feel free to update with further improvement.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-01 23:03:28

@Nickg69 Hello,

Understandable, but my RE300 has been rock solid for the last 9+ months with my Zyxel VMG1312-B10D router.

- router outputing 2.4 GHz WiFi for the RE300 to connect to.

- RE300 outputting 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi for clients to connect to: phones, PCs, Streaming devices (Roku and Now TV).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Tony

Options
2021-08-22 18:18:32

@Nickg69 May I ask which one you're getting I'm going to return my TP link as well since they are just giving us a run around with "what firmware are you using?"

I've searched a dozen of these threads and they have not once addressed that this is actually an issue on their side

Options
2021-08-22 18:21:02

@Boost337 I went with Sky's own Sky Q booster. Not cheap but has been faultless. Should have got it in the first place. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2759

Replies: 9

Related Articles