Archer C80 not working anymore after attempted firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 00:36:01 - last edited 2020-06-09 01:43:30
Model: Archer C1900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I may have bricked my router.

After initial setup, I attenpted to run a firmware upgrade just to make sure that my router has the latest firmware. When I ran the setup, it failed, and that's the problems started.

All the LED lights in the router remained on, and the power LED is constantly blinking. There's no WiFi signal whatsoever.

I tried restarting the router many times over. I even tried pressing the reset button multiple times to no avail. The problem still persists, and I don't know what to do.

I only bought this yesterday, so can I still get a replacement for it? Is it still covered under the warranty?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 not working anymore after attempted firmware upgrade-Solution
2020-11-04 00:18:54 - last edited 2020-11-20 03:24:07

Just solved the issue on my own. Router is up and working with updated firmware.

1. Download latest router firmware (from TP-link support pages) to your PC hardrive and upack ZIP file.

2. Connect your PC with C80 with LAN cable. Connect to LAN port (any of 4) in router.

3. Disconnect Wireless connectivity in your pc/laptop

4. Switch Archer c80 on and wait till connection between PC and router is established (few seconds). Router's Power LED is still blinking continously.

- if not automaticaly connected check list of available connections and choose the TP-Link_D0D2 network

5. Now connect to your router using internet browser (http://192.168.0.1)

6. There will be a message displayed saying something like "Ooops, something went wrong. You need to upgrade your firmare"

7. Styart the firmware upgrade: choose a file (latest firmware) downloaded from TP-Link support pages and proceed with upgrade.

8. After several seconds you are done!

All settings are reset to factory so you will need once again to configure your network/router like for the first time. But router is working like a new one and everything is fixed.

hope that helps some of you lost in "blinking power led after approaching firmware upograde".

cheers,

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C80 not working anymore after attempted firmware upgrade
2020-06-09 01:43:20 - last edited 2020-11-20 03:24:14

@raldfelix 

Hello,

Please refer to this story on our forum to perform the firmware recovery and see if you can save your router:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/582

If not, please confirm with the below when you tried to upgrade the firmware:

1. Did you upgrade the firmware via wired connection or wireless? If there any power outage during the upgrade?

2. What is the hardware version of your Archer C80 and which firmware have you tried to upgrade to?

3. Which country are you located in?

Options
2020-07-28 12:09:46

@raldfelix 

I'm having the same issue, and mine justy arrived a couple of minutes ago and it is already a brick.

I have tried the upgrade via wired to another main rooter, no power outage, it just that after reboot it started do like in your case.

The answer you have received i find it really not pointing to anything as the story which is linekd in there is having tow parts and two cases and none is including Archer C80 eu version .... so thank you but i would rather skip it.

Maybe in between someone managed to solved this and woul post rather a solution not a link to a solution related to model version of rooters

Options
2020-11-03 21:29:56

Just got same issue. Tried to upgrade Archer c80 firmware via wireless (using "upgrade" feature in router menu) and now it is not working anymore. Power led is just flashing and that's all. No network is available. After device restart story is the same - power led is blinking, network is not available and nothing changes.

What to do now?

Router is quite new - just arrived today from store and was configured for the first time.

Options
Re:Archer C80 not working anymore after attempted firmware upgrade-Solution
2020-11-04 00:18:54 - last edited 2020-11-20 03:24:07

Just solved the issue on my own. Router is up and working with updated firmware.

1. Download latest router firmware (from TP-link support pages) to your PC hardrive and upack ZIP file.

2. Connect your PC with C80 with LAN cable. Connect to LAN port (any of 4) in router.

3. Disconnect Wireless connectivity in your pc/laptop

4. Switch Archer c80 on and wait till connection between PC and router is established (few seconds). Router's Power LED is still blinking continously.

- if not automaticaly connected check list of available connections and choose the TP-Link_D0D2 network

5. Now connect to your router using internet browser (http://192.168.0.1)

6. There will be a message displayed saying something like "Ooops, something went wrong. You need to upgrade your firmare"

7. Styart the firmware upgrade: choose a file (latest firmware) downloaded from TP-Link support pages and proceed with upgrade.

8. After several seconds you are done!

All settings are reset to factory so you will need once again to configure your network/router like for the first time. But router is working like a new one and everything is fixed.

hope that helps some of you lost in "blinking power led after approaching firmware upograde".

cheers,

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-18 18:07:20
I confirm this works. Thanks.
Options
2020-11-19 20:33:00

@Pelcu version is working.

Great work. Should be posted as the solution for this thread.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3458

Replies: 6