Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-15 02:30:27
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.4 Build 20200512 rel.51608(4555)

I have a hard drive connected to the USB port of the main modem/router (provided by my internet provider), shared on the network via SMB. The archer C6 is connected to the main router via a cat5e cable, and negotiates a 1000Mbps full duplex connection. If i try to copy a file from the hard disk to my laptop while connected with an ethernet cable to the main router or while connected via WiFi to the Archer C6 I get speed of ~250Mbps in both cases, which is as expected. But if I'm connected via ethernet to the Archer C6, while still negotiating 1000Mbps full duplex from the main router to the Archer and from the Archer to my laptop (checked both in Windows' control panel and in the Archer C6 configuration page), the speed I get is capped at 100Mbps, and is usually lower, at around 70Mbps. Did I get a defective unit or is this a flaw of the product itself, which is marketed as having full gigabit ports?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex
2020-06-15 09:53:43

@magic235 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community.

Please help confirm some details and we will try to figure it out:

1. Is the Archer C6 working as a router or Access Point? How about the DHCP server in your network, is it on the modem router or on the C6?

2. What is the brand and model of your ethernet adapter on the computer? Did you try with another computer?

3. Is the link speed of the wired connection negotiated to 1000Mbps when the computer is connected to the C6 by cable? Can I have a screenshot of the speed?

Options
Re:Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex
2020-06-15 14:10:31 - last edited 2020-06-15 15:32:21

@Solla-topee 
1. Archer C6 is in access point mode, the DHCP server is on the main modem/router (I left it on auto on the C6 because I'm sure it's not assigning any IPs, the client list is empty).
I set the same SSID and password on both.

2. Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller. Tried with another computer, still 1Gbps connection, same result. The speed fluctuates greatly, from 4Mbps to 150Mbps in seconds. It peaks briefly at 150-160 Mbps, so the connection is not strictly capped at 100Mbps as i previously thought.

3. Here are the images. 

Options
2020-06-16 01:13:12

@magic235 

Hello, Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support.

Good day.

Options
2020-08-19 04:38:23

@Solla-topee 

hi

I am facing the same issue where speed through the router is getting capped at 10Mbps. I have a new archer C6 router. It was working fine and suddenly I started facing this issue.
Please let me know if there's a solution to this issue.

Thanks

Options
Followup:Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex
2020-10-11 23:37:57

@Solla-topee I've been using the solution provided by your engineer for the past few months. His solution was to set manually set the parameters needed for the router to act as an AP while still being in router mode. This solution, while it solves my LAN speed issue, doesn't use the WAN port on the router, so the router itself is not connected to the internet. This creates numerous new issues: limited use of the Tether app (cannot login as Cloud Device while not at home), no online upgrade, no automatic time retrieval. This last thing is quite important to me because the router relies on current time to turn LEDs and WiFi on/off automatically, and without automatic sync I have to set it manually frequently cause often it becomes completely wrong (e.g. after reboot or power loss, or sometimes even without an apparent reason). By the way, why is it not possible to turn LEDs and WiFi on/off automatically while the router is set in AP mode? The option is not there.
To summarize, what I'd like to know if it's possible to:
1. restore full LAN speed while operating as AP (I get steady 30MB/s speeds in router mode, whilst in AP mode LAN speeds sometimes are under 1MB/s)
2. add the option to turn LEDs and WiFi on/off automatically while the router is set to AP mode

Options
2020-10-12 05:42:54

@Rosh21 

Hello, apologies for any inconvenience caused. For the LAN negotiation issue you encountered, please try the below suggestions and get back to the community with the details if it cannot be solved, thanks.

1. Log in to the web UI of the Archer C6 and go to the Basic-Network map page, click the Archer C6 image/icon and scroll down this page, you will see the ethernet negotiation speed of the LAN ports, show us the screenshot:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/
2. Go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex, or 100Mbps based on the bandwidth you got from your ISP.
3. After that, try to test the negotiation speed on your PC again. It is strongly suggested to change another cat5e or cat6 cable. 
4. It is also suggested to change another wired device with gigabit ethernet ports to do a test. 
5. What is the length of the Ethernet cable between the C6 and your PC, in other words, what is the distance between them? Is it the same cable when you are testing the speed with your modem directly?
6. Is it possible to get a gigabit switch to perform a test? And it is suggested to use a shorter cable and confirm again.

If none of the above works, please tell us the brand and model number of the gigabit ethernet adapter on that PC, we will check and investigate further. Thanks.

Options
Followup:Archer C6 - Ethernet capped at 100mbps even when negotiating 1000mbps full duplex
2020-10-12 06:03:18

@magic235 

Hello, thanks for getting back.

When manually changing the C6 into an Access Point, the LED control or wireless schedule is not available. If you need those features to be available, it is suggested to follow this issue up with our engineers directly, they will try to help you out.

Options
2020-10-12 11:23:02 - last edited 2020-10-12 13:07:53

@Kevin_Z By manually changing the C6 into an access point (ethernet from main router connected to C6 ethernet port, dhcp off, static ip in same subnet of main router) you can actually use LED control and wireless schedule. These features are not available if the C6 is actually set as AP the "intended way", in the operation mode menu. Is there a reason why these features are disabled in the proper AP mode? And why are LAN transfers so slow in AP mode?

Options
2020-10-28 09:10:46

@Kevin_Z any solutions?

Options
2020-10-28 12:13:49

@magic235 

Hi, thanks for asking. As suggested, please follow this up with our engineers directly as your case was previously forwarded to them, thanks.

Options