Set Up M9 Plus Network with Ether Home Runs to Centurylink DSL Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-26 21:01:32 - last edited 2020-07-28 10:26:40
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

Hello - I just purchased the Deco M9 Plus from Costco so have 3 Deco Units.  I have two areas of questions:

1) Setup / network configuration

2) WiFi network consolidation

Current network:

- Centurylink DSL Modem C3000A located in Office.  5 ports: 4 LAN ports plus 1 WAN port (that is essentially another LAN port unless I'm not understanding the DSL config)

- DLink DGS-1008G 8 port switch using LAN port #1

- Apple Time Machine with wifi enabled using LAN port #2

- Security system using LAN port #3 

- Home run ethernet cables from about 10 rooms (bdrms, kitchen, LR, DR, etc) to Office

- About 20 computers/iPads/iPhones/printers/etc plus 8 TV's, and about another 30 IoTs like WEMO's, Refrig, etc

I saw this post, which was very helpful to understand if in AP Mode then no Deco Features: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/200668

I bought the Deco M9 Plus to hopefully resolve the following:

- WEMO's on the other side of the house (and the ones outside) have an inconsistent connection.  I get them set up just fine but at times, they show offline.  I've tried re-setting them but still get the same behavior.

- I have three wifi networks already: Apple Time Machine, 2.4GHz Centurlylink, 5.0GHz Centurylink

- Spotty Wifi in some of the bedrooms (despite the Centurylink Modem being 30 ft away but multiple walls inbetween)

So was wondering:

- Would it be better to set up each Deco Unit in AP mode since I can use the home run ethernet cables to connect to the Modem?  What if I set up each Deco Unit in Router Mode and connected through home run ethernet cables to Modem?  Any difference since either configuration is using home run ethernet cables to connect to the Modem?

- If in AP mode, can I plug the Deco Units into the DLink switch since I have only 5 ports available in the Modem?  (Three Deco Units in AP mode plugged into Dlink Switch then Dlink plugged into Modem)

- I'd like to mount the Deco Unit by one of the ethernet ports in a bedroom so there is an option for me to use wifi or plug a computer into the Deco Unit for direct ethernet.  Does the mode (AP or Router) of the Deco unit impact whether I can use the extra port on the Deco Unit as a direct wire ethernet connection?

- Is there a way I can have just one (or two) WiFi networks so I don't have to worry about selecting the network with all the various end-points?

- I noticed the enviornmental limit is 104F but I live in Arizona where it can get up to 110+ F.  I was hoping I could put a Deco Unit in the garage but guessing the ceiling temps could get to 120F.  Is there thermal protection or should I just give up on putting a Deco Unit in the garage?

Thank you for any assistance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Set Up M9 Plus Network with Ether Home Runs to Centurylink DSL Modem-Solution
2020-07-28 10:26:35 - last edited 2020-07-28 10:26:40

@Sctsdale 

Hello, thanks for all the detailed info, I will try to answer your questions one by one:

1. It is NOT suggested to connect two or more Decos to the existing DLINK DGS-1008G, which may cause issues to the Deco mesh network.

2. If you are not caring about most of the Deco features, set up the main Deco in an AP mode by plugging it into your Centurylink C3000A modem directly, keep the other two units connected to the main Deco wirelessly.

3. When the Deco is working as an AP, you can still connect a device to the other LAN port on it.

4. It is NOT suggested to install the Deco in such a high-temperature environment, which will damage it or even cause security issues.

5. The Deco mesh will share the same SSID/wireless network name, you can also change the other SSIDs to the same one. While Deco can only build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Set Up M9 Plus Network with Ether Home Runs to Centurylink DSL Modem-Solution
2020-07-28 10:26:35 - last edited 2020-07-28 10:26:40

@Sctsdale 

Hello, thanks for all the detailed info, I will try to answer your questions one by one:

1. It is NOT suggested to connect two or more Decos to the existing DLINK DGS-1008G, which may cause issues to the Deco mesh network.

2. If you are not caring about most of the Deco features, set up the main Deco in an AP mode by plugging it into your Centurylink C3000A modem directly, keep the other two units connected to the main Deco wirelessly.

3. When the Deco is working as an AP, you can still connect a device to the other LAN port on it.

4. It is NOT suggested to install the Deco in such a high-temperature environment, which will damage it or even cause security issues.

5. The Deco mesh will share the same SSID/wireless network name, you can also change the other SSIDs to the same one. While Deco can only build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Set Up M9 Plus Network with Ether Home Runs to Centurylink DSL Modem
2020-08-04 19:35:11

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for the information!  I have a few follow-on's if that's okay.  My main thought/questions are:

- How can I best utilize already existing hard-wire home runs

- If possible, have one (or two) SSID's where endpoints can utilize the best connection as they traverse the house (I think that is the mesh network function if I'm understanding the technology correctly)

Additional Question:  Does this apply to both AP or router mode?

Additional Question:  Understand regarding not being able to use Deco features.  This configuration wouldn't take advantage of the hard-wiring so was wondering if there is a configuration that I could use?  I was thinking of an office environment where their AP's connect back hard-wired to a switch and you're able to traverse floor to floor without switching SSID's

3.  Thank you for the info!

4.  Thank you for the info!

Additional Question:  Understand Deco can't build mesh with non-Deco devices.  So was wondering, if SSIDs are same with Deco and non-Deco, an end-point would connect to the SSID and if it happens to be a Deco device, then it will be able to use mesh.  If the initial connection to the SSID happens to be a non-Deco device, then it would stay connected on that device and use that one particular device until it reconnects back to the SSID (for whatever reason) and then gets either a Deco or non-Deco device.  Is this correct?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 594

Replies: 2

Related Articles