Poor speed test when connected via Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 17:43:38 - last edited 2020-08-28 12:03:16
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I'm having a night mare. 

My virgin hub 3.0 is upstairs in the spare room on 350mb package. 

Speed test shows 372mb Ethernet connected. The problem I am having is trying to get a good solid Wi-Fi connection downstairs in the living room, which is at the front of the house. The virgin hub is upstairs in the spare room back left of the house. 

I connected the first deco via the Ethernet and went through the app setup. If I do a speed test with the deco next to the hub using the provided Ethernet cable I get 389mb but if I connect it downstairs via cat6 Ethernet a get 84mb ? 

I have also tried to use the Ethernet backhaul but not matter what I do I still get 80-90mb on the second deco downstairs ? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Poor speed test when connected via Ethernet -Solution
2020-08-28 12:03:11 - last edited 2020-08-28 12:03:16

@Jbirtles 

Hello, sorry about that.

Please verify some basic information and we can try to fix it:

1. Is the main Deco M4 working as a Router or an Access Point?
2. When you connect your computer to the 2nd Deco M4 by an ethernet cable and run a speedtest on the Deco app, how about that speed? How about the link speed on your computer? Refer to the guide to confirm it: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

Note, if the speed is only 100M, try with a new cat5e or cat6 cable.
3. Relocate the 2nd Deco M4 and move it closer to the main Deco, then test the speed via speedtest again.

4. When the 2nd Deco is connected to the main Deco with an Ethernet cable, please launch the Deco app and confirm if the Ethernet backhaul is build-up successfully or not. On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul. 

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Poor speed test when connected via Ethernet -Solution
2020-08-28 12:03:11 - last edited 2020-08-28 12:03:16

@Jbirtles 

Hello, sorry about that.

Please verify some basic information and we can try to fix it:

1. Is the main Deco M4 working as a Router or an Access Point?
2. When you connect your computer to the 2nd Deco M4 by an ethernet cable and run a speedtest on the Deco app, how about that speed? How about the link speed on your computer? Refer to the guide to confirm it: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

Note, if the speed is only 100M, try with a new cat5e or cat6 cable.
3. Relocate the 2nd Deco M4 and move it closer to the main Deco, then test the speed via speedtest again.

4. When the 2nd Deco is connected to the main Deco with an Ethernet cable, please launch the Deco app and confirm if the Ethernet backhaul is build-up successfully or not. On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul. 

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 463

Replies: 1