RE450 is broadcasting TKIP instead of AES. Roaming issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE450 is broadcasting TKIP instead of AES. Roaming issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
52 Reply
Re:RE450 is broadcasting TKIP instead of AES. Roaming issues
2020-10-26 09:33:18

@saisrujan 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

For the RE450 v1& V2, we have tested it would strictly follow the encryption mode of the home router and if the weak security issue still exited, please feel free to send us an email;

For the RE450 v3, there would be official firmware released later to fix this issue;

So, For the randomly dropped out connection on the RE450 v2, I don’t think it is related to the TKIP-weak security issue;

As for the channel, currently the range extenders sold in India are EU version which support band 1/2/3, not band 4 (channel 149-165) due to the CE certification;

But we have some feedback that HG8145V5 HUAWEI/Nokia ONT router (model - G-2425G-A), (other models not limited) would be stick to channel 149, which could cause the 5ghz of the host network undetectable;

Since currently, there is no way to make the EU version extenders support band 4, changing the router’s channel would be much recommended;

And we have already planned to release the IN version extenders which would support band 1/2/3/4, just like US version.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-10-26 12:07:01

@Solla-topee 

I had already tried all that before posting. you keep posting the same responses. Feels like you're just looking to buy some time. 

I've since returned the equipment as it was just wasting my time. 

Options
2020-10-26 17:32:36

Solla-topee wrote

For the RE450 v3, there would be official firmware released later to fix this issue

@Solla-topee "Later" isn't enough. Should I keep waiting or should I buy some other repeater? Please give me a clear ETA so we can make a decision. I am also into software engineering and I don't trust vague timelines like "soon", "later", "a while". I think we, as customers, deserve to be given a commitment on timeline. If it were some enhancement that we are asking, I understand I can't demand timelines, but this is CLEARLY A BUG that you haven't fixed for 2 years. So, it's high time you assure your customers with a clear commitment. If your company doesn't allow you to commit, please send me a PM with escalation contacts. I'd like to speak to your manager. 

I understand your situation about selling EU models in India, and understand why the extender can't support all channels allowed in India. i appreciate your plan to release India specific models in the future.

i am using RE450 v3, and I face intermittent loss of internet connectivity on all devices connected to the extender. When I switch to the SSID of the host network, internet works, so there's definitely a bug. Since I have only been using this extender occasionally for testing and is not switched on 24x7 (thanks to the TKIP issue), I can't explain when it happens - but it does happen on the V3. 

Options
2020-10-31 12:45:24

Solla-topee wrote

For the RE450 v3, there would be official firmware released later to fix this issue;

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

We are still waiting for the new firmware (RE450 V3).

This security breach is not acceptable and is taking too long to be fixed.

When will the new firmware be released ??

Thank you

Options
2020-11-04 15:50:04 - last edited 2020-11-04 16:17:04

I just recieved the RE450 and just found this issue. Please, give us the option to select which encryption we want or at least the option to disable TKIP. I'm sure it's not that difficult. If you cannot solve it in a short period of time, at least say that, so we can return it back.

Options
2020-11-05 18:59:29

@Solla-topee 

Hi there,

Still waiting for your answer.

Thank you

Best regards

Options
2020-11-05 19:30:00

@Solla-topee My router is setup to use WPA2+AES but RE450 extender still broadcasting TKIP... Any firmware updates or something??

Options
2020-11-22 08:39:35

Having experienced the "Weak Security" IOS 14 issue and it taking me a painfully long time to figure out it was the RE450 that was the issue, I have now fixed the problem.

Once I realised that the extender was the problem, I set about trying to figure out why - I naively thought the extender just took in the signal, amplified it and then broadcast an identical but stronger signal. Not so, it applied its own security. Up until that point I had only ever used Tether and it didn't give any information. I then went into the extender via the web interface via the extender's IP address (the factory default is 192.168.0.254), and whilst some basic settings were accessible, I didn't see anything about encryption.

I then thought about a firmware update, mine is a V2 extender and its firmware was from 2016. I updated the latest version,  Version 1.0.5 Build 20200914, and now more settings, including security were available. The first thing I noticed was that the extended signals were given different names to those used in the router. In the past the two frequencies from extender had the same names as those from the router. The names I see for the extender signals are TP-Link_Extender_5Ghz and TP-Link_Extender_2,4GHz. I set the security to WPA2-PSK and entered passwords for both (I used the same password I use for the router's wifi).

I then went onto my iPhone and looked at the wifi settings. The two new extender signals had been found and so I chose one and connected to it, but - WEAK SECURITY again.

I checked the signal security type for the extender's signal via Windows 10, and it showed that it was indeed WPA2 AES. So why was it being flagged as weak security?

In desperation I got the extender to re-scan the networks and re-chose the extender from the list of wireless signals that were found - you'll know you've done that because you'll need to reset the passwords for the extender's signals. I then did an extender reboot from within the web interface - the web interface will drop out when the reboot executes, but you then just enter the extender's IP address again to re-establish it. 

Hey presto! I now have 4 wifi signals, 2.5GHz and 5.0Ghz from both router and extender, and none of them report weak security. So the RE450 will definitely do the job.

Happy days!

Options
2021-01-05 01:57:06

TEST REPORT

I have a new RE450 v3 with a UK power plug.

I followed these instructions and still get the issue.

My Archer V1600 router was always set to WPA2/AES only (never auto of TKIP)

I am using different SSID (network name) for the the extended network and the router.

I have reconnected the extender to the router with both web and app interface.

On the iPAD, I get weak security warning, using "WPA/WPA2 (TKIP)". 

On Windows 10 laptop, network properties show "WPA2-Personal.

When I connect to the extender admin interface via either app or web there is no option to set security to WPA2 or AES on the extender.

DISCUSSION

How can a user test the statement "apple devices prefer to use the AES or TKIP when both are available"?

I believe this is a serious shortcoming that needs a simple firmware update:  Add WPA2/AES only as the default with TKIP as an option enabled on the App or Web Interface.

Since hardly anyone should still be setting up a network using TKIP, this should no longer be the default but available as an not-recommended option for older devices.

Options
2021-01-05 06:43:32

@intotecho 

Hi, Have you tried to the beta firmware for the RE450 v3:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/241928

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
Related Articles