OneMesh network plus Sky Q and Sky Q mini?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 09:27:42
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

Hi.

I'm in the process of migrating my broadband from Sky to Virgin, and am trying to work out of a OneMesh network would work for me and solve a couple of issues I have.

I'm pretty new to this type of thing, so apologies if I've misunderstood anything.

I'll try and give as much context and detail as I can so further apologies for the long post :) 

What I have now:

• My current Internet is based on the default Sky modem/router upstairs, a Sky Q box downstairs, and a Sky Q mini box in a room somewhere in between
  • I have split the networks into separate 2ghz and 5ghz networks with different SSID names - priority devices (laptops, iPhones etc) are on the 5 network and the rest are on the 2
  • I'm keeping the Sky tv services and Q boxes, but changing internet to Virgin (for the speed boost - from 70mbps up to 500mbps)

What I'm switching to:

• My new Virgin internet is due to be installed in a week or so, and I will be based around a Virgin HUB3 device.
  • I'd heard that the HUB3 has a pretty poor wifi range so I plan to turn off the router part of the HUB3 and just use it as the modem, and have bought a Archer 7 to use as the router. this will be connected via cable to the HUB3.
  • The Sky Q and Sky Q Mini boxes will stay as they are

However, I'm concerned this may not solve the issue of wifi dead spots in the house, so was looking at OneMesh.

I could get a couple of RE300 repeaters to connect to teh Archer 7 and create a OneMesh across the house, but will this then clash or compete with the Sky Q and Q mini boxes?

When they were installed a couple of years ago the Sky engineer said the Q boxes acted as range extenders (albeit not very strong ones).

I understand the advantages of OneMesh vs range extenders (the animation on this page explains it very well - https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/ ) but am worried that if I install the Archer 7 + a couple of RE300 to create a OneMesh, devices (especially iOS ones, which notoriously struggle to swutch betyween access points) will still be attaching to the Sky boxes, and I will lose the benefit of a mesh network.

Have I understood that correctly? Is it actually an issue?

Any ideas or suggestions on how I fix it?

Options
3 Reply
Re:OneMesh network plus Sky Q and Sky Q mini?
2020-12-14 18:27:57

@QuiffBoy did you ever get a reply to this? I found this by googling as I'm having the same issue. Have the Deco M3 and 3x RE300 and the Q and mini boxes keeping crapping out. Any advice welcome!

Options
2020-12-29 11:24:45 - last edited 2020-12-29 11:25:23

@AWW 

Hello, you seem to have a different issue with what QuiffBoy concerns, it is suggested to open your own case on the Deco sub-forum or on the Range Extender, thanks:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/39

Options
2020-12-29 11:55:29

@Kevin_Z I resolved it by putting my virgin super hub 3 back in to router mode and the sky box connects to that

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1187

Replies: 3

Related Articles