Speeds Went down ax50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Speeds Went down ax50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Speeds Went down ax50
Speeds Went down ax50
2020-10-23 06:34:49
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

Hello . I've just got my archer ax50. i did the set up and i did a speedtest and on 2.5ghz i've got 250 mpbs so far so good.

and then i changed some settings and the 5ghz and 2.5 ghz went down to 5ghz - 200 mbps ,2.5 ghz - 40 mbps

i want to mention that i have 1GB/s from my isp

any help? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Speeds Went down ax50
2020-11-09 05:55:33

I'm also having the same issue. The maximum speed I get on my iPhone 12, iPhone 11, and iPhone X is 220Mbps up and down even though I'm right next to it. My previous old google wifi router in the same spot got over 300Mbps. However, sometimes my old 2016 macbook pro can get up to 500Mbps, it's very weird. I've tried resetting the router, upgrading the firmware, forcing AX on iPhone 12, using the app/not using the app.

Options
2020-11-10 03:15:58

@dkiwi    @ZetolFox 

Hello, thank you both for reporting the speed issue you encountered with the AX50, please help verify some details, and we will try to fix it together:
1. Without any other devices connected when the speed on the computer drops significantly, please connect one computer to the AX50 directly and go to speedtest to run the test for 3 times and show us the screenshots of the test results.
And please tell me the wired link speed at that time, how to get that? You can refer to the below link.
https://www.tp-link.com/faq-2265.html
2. What is the speed tested on the Tether app? It might be different from that on your computer, we may think the Tether speed is more like the connection speed between the router and your internet, which would be different from the speed you can get on the computer, while we can verify it first.
3. Do you enable any QoS setting on the router? Kindly show me the QoS setting page on your AX50, try to disable it then check again. On the Tether Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.
4. If the wired connection speed from the AX50 is good, try a mobile app to analyze the surrounding Wi-Fi, review all the channels in 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Next, review the channels on the router for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If the channels match that around you, an indication of overcrowded. Manually adjust the channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to lesser use channels.
5. Ensure the firmware of the AX50 is up-to-date, and there are possibly other wireless parameters that need tweaking, such as Power Transmit, narrow or wide band, etc. but start with the above and below link:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/200588

Options
2020-11-10 04:33:23

@Kevin_Z I have pretty much done all that testing and have concluded there is an issue with your firmware and AX50 with iPhones. Can you post a screenshot of a speed test (preferably using the speedtest.net app) above 250Mbps using the latest firmware on the AX50? I see lots of other reports of people having the same problem.

Options
2020-11-10 07:03:54

@dkiwi 

Hi, thanks for getting back.

May I know what is the bandwidth provided by your ISP? Do you mean you never get more than 220Mbps on the iPhones? As suggested, please ensure the QoS is disabled on the AX50, this can only be modified on the Tether Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Meanwhile, what is the OS version of these iPhones, are they iOS 14.0.1? How about the link speed when they connected to the 5GHz network? Can I have a screenshot?

Options
2020-11-11 07:14:32

@Kevin_Z 

I have a 1Gbps internet connections in my house (I get >900Mbps on LAN). I have done a lot more testing (also downgraded then upgraded the firmware not sure it made a difference) but I can now get 600Mbps right next to the router but moving away 2 meters drops quickly to 400Mbps.

I've noticed some very weird things with this AX50 router and SpeedTest.net. If I'm on LAN I can get over 900Mbps to all servers but on wifi on Computer or Phone on most servers I get only 250Mbps. However, for a few servers like "HGC Global Communications Limited" on Wifi I do get 600Mbps. I've tested other routers like Google Wifi and the speed doesn't decrease like on the AX50. It's so weird, it's like the AX50 router is doing something funny to packets to different servers, I can't explain it. Can you explain why AX50 performs poorly for some servers vs LAN? I've attached screenshots. These results can very consistently be reproduced on both mac and iphone.

My phone is using iOS 14.1 and were manually connected to the 5Ghz channel not using Smart Connect.

I've done a wifi channel scan and saw that no router apart from the AX50 is using channel 161. 

I'm using Access Point operational mode so QoS is disabled (I use another router for DHCP). To make sure that isn't causing issues I also tried Router operation mode connected directly to ISP and it made no difference.

LAN

WIFI

Options
2020-11-11 12:10:58

@dkiwi 

Hello, thanks a lot for all the detailed info.

We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Good day.

Options
2021-04-29 20:33:56

@ZetolFox 

Just disable the QoS, I saw the same issue with my AX50 (I have gigabit connection to my ISP). 

The QoS is broken and by disabling this features fixed the problem instantly.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1800

Replies: 7

Related Articles