Can someone explain how the Deco are supposed to improve wifi signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-28 14:27:07 - last edited 2020-10-29 06:01:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: latest

I wanted to get a stronger wifi signal in my bedroom. My router is in the living room.

I installed Deco M9 plus - one attached to the router with a cable, and the other in the bedroom.

The wifi signal to my device from the Deco network is not improved, it's still weak. So it's not working as I had hoped.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, or I am misunderstanding some basic principle of this setup.

Can anyone explain to me how it's supposed to work?

If the wifi signal from my router in living room to my device in bedroom is weak,

then how would the wifi signal from the M9 in the living room to the M9 in the bedroom be any stronger?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can someone explain how the Deco are supposed to improve wifi signal?-Solution
2020-10-28 15:38:42 - last edited 2020-10-29 06:01:49

@RandoMesher 

The right place to put second Deco unit, when it is not wired with Ethernet cable, is in the middle between your bedroom where you are and living room where your main Deco is.

Not in the bedroom. 

The main idea is: Main Deco to Second Deco will have better signal, and Second Deco to bedroom will have better signal. Overall - better signal.

Here, in more detail:

When looking for a place to put second Deco device, make sure 5 GHz signal from the main unit is strong (Good, Excellent) there. I used WiFi scanner on smartphone to check WiFi signal levels, WiFiman from Ubiquiti, but there are many other similar apps.

Walk to the place where you want to put second Deco M9 Plus, turn off and on WiFi on smartphone to get fresh signal readings, start WiFi scanner app and see what quality of 5GHz it reports from Main Deco. If quality is low, you better find another place.

Deco M9 Plus has 5GHz backhaul and unless wired with ethernet cable, will benefit greatly from strong 5GHz connection to Main Deco unit.

If you can't find such place, at least place M9 Plus where 2.4GHz signal from Main Deco is strong, but then you'll be losing main benefit of M9 and could have settled for (usually) less expensive M5.

Depending on your house layout, you might need to experiment with moving second Deco around to find sweet spot where it has good signal from main Deco and your bedroom gets good signal from second Deco. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can someone explain how the Deco are supposed to improve wifi signal?
2020-10-28 15:25:57

@RandoMesher The best advice I can give you is to connect all the decos with an rj45 cable and you will see that the wifi signal improves a lot. 

Options
Re:Can someone explain how the Deco are supposed to improve wifi signal?-Solution
2020-10-28 15:38:42 - last edited 2020-10-29 06:01:49

@RandoMesher 

The right place to put second Deco unit, when it is not wired with Ethernet cable, is in the middle between your bedroom where you are and living room where your main Deco is.

Not in the bedroom. 

The main idea is: Main Deco to Second Deco will have better signal, and Second Deco to bedroom will have better signal. Overall - better signal.

Here, in more detail:

When looking for a place to put second Deco device, make sure 5 GHz signal from the main unit is strong (Good, Excellent) there. I used WiFi scanner on smartphone to check WiFi signal levels, WiFiman from Ubiquiti, but there are many other similar apps.

Walk to the place where you want to put second Deco M9 Plus, turn off and on WiFi on smartphone to get fresh signal readings, start WiFi scanner app and see what quality of 5GHz it reports from Main Deco. If quality is low, you better find another place.

Deco M9 Plus has 5GHz backhaul and unless wired with ethernet cable, will benefit greatly from strong 5GHz connection to Main Deco unit.

If you can't find such place, at least place M9 Plus where 2.4GHz signal from Main Deco is strong, but then you'll be losing main benefit of M9 and could have settled for (usually) less expensive M5.

Depending on your house layout, you might need to experiment with moving second Deco around to find sweet spot where it has good signal from main Deco and your bedroom gets good signal from second Deco. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 700

Replies: 2

Related Articles