TP-Link Power Line Adapater keeps lossing internet but lights stay on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-30 16:47:26
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.3.1.2141-00_401013_171025_901

As the title suggests I'm having connection issues with my powerline adapter. I have 5G internet so it's saying the speeds to the output device is over 400Mbps. Quite strangely though my flatmate's computer and phone will occasionally lose internet from the adapter while all lights remain lit-up on the device, even when using an ethernet cable for the laptop. And it's not the whole internet dropping out either as it will still be working on my end and the laptop will switch to the main router, albeit with a weak connection (hence the powerline adapter).

I've disabled the power-saving mode and there is no regularity to how often it happens. It can be twice in one day or it can not happen for days on end. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to make it work which makes me think it might be an issue with the firmware crashing or something?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link Power Line Adapater keeps lossing internet but lights stay on
2020-11-02 09:51:18

@IsaacPound 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Since your current firmware is quite old, please try to update the firmware to the following one:

TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201804/20180420/TL-WPA4220_V4_180308.zip

If possible, please try to download the power-line utility:

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201809/20180904/PowerLineUtility_Win_180816.zip

and check the following information:

1. Would the adapter disappear from the utility when the connection dropped?
  2. Would the wife symbol of the wireless adapter disappear on the utility ?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:TP-Link Power Line Adapater keeps lossing internet but lights stay on
2020-11-07 14:53:06 - last edited 2020-11-07 15:45:28

@Solla-topee Finally got the time to try and fix this and have successfully applied the update. I will give it some time and see if it drops again.

Another symptom, that hopefully has been fixed by the update, is that very rarely (once, possible twice in the last month) having the power line adapter plugged in has completely stopped all internet from working. I'm fairly certain it happened at least once, unplugging it meant the internet worked, and plugging it back in made it stop... I have no idea why but I realised I'd forgotten to mention it in the original post.

EDIT: I've just moved some things around and the above problem is happening again which reminded me about last time and it's the same thing now. Basically, when the device that connects the router to the mains power is plugged straight into the wall it cuts all internet off. I can still log into my router and it says there is still an internet connection but no devices will be able to access the internet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 507

Replies: 2

Related Articles