VR2800 clients lose 2.4ghz connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR2800 clients lose 2.4ghz connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:VR2800 clients lose 2.4ghz connection
2021-06-30 09:02:00

@kada33  Nice,feel free to let us know if the latest firmware help with the issue or not, thank you. 

Options
2021-07-31 15:51:02
It is now only failing around twice a week, today being one of those. Dave
Options
2021-10-26 14:10:56 - last edited 2021-10-26 14:23:17

I have the same Wifi 2.4G problem  -- 5G WiFI works perfectly but I have 21 wifi devices, most are 2.4G only. Most connect but some fail - iPad, some mobiles, withing scales -- they either report that the router is not responding or the password is wrong.  I have tried different wifi channels, and tried only 20Mhz or only 40Mhz width -- nothing makes it reliable. Have factory reset etc.

When I go back to my my Talktalk router then they all connect perfectly on 2.4G (only that router reboots regularly due to not being able to handle many devices - hence the VR2800 purchase).

I'm left with no device that actually works correctly at the moment

I'm on the current latest firmware - hope there is a solution coming or I will need to sell this router and try a different make.

Options
2021-10-29 07:03:09

@psl3 

Hi, may I know how long have you had the modem and when did this issue start?

How many 2.4ghz clients do you have in total?

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. turn off the 2.4ghz of the main network.

2. enable the guest network with a different SSID for 2.4ghz only.

3. make address reservations for all the 2.4ghz devices.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-01 14:06:10

@TP-Link  Thank you for tour interest.

I did by the VR2800 secondhand for £70. I has had this issue since receiving although did take time to isolate as a modem issue after testing against 2x TalkTalk routers and an old TP-Link TD-W8970. I perhaps have 20 devices on 2.4Gb and 10 more on 5G or cable. Next to all are very low bandwidth (smart switch etc).

As an example of the issue - my Withing Scales just reports that the Wifi router does not respond. This is the case regardless of distance of the router - however will quickly connect to any of the other routers.   I will try to to reserve an IP address for devices but not sure if they are getting that far if they just report no response on Wifi. 

Options
2021-11-01 14:41:08

@TP-Link   

Following your advice - 

I have tried moving the scales and router next to each other. The Guest 2.4G wifi seems to need the main 2.4G wifi to be running so had to have both on. As always, my phone connects with the router OK so connected to guest Wifi but when I look to connect the scales, it says "Try moving nearer to the router and try again" so does not want to speak to it. (As mentioned, no problem following the same method with the 3 other routers) My son's 2 year old Android phone that works with all other routers but this one and so is considering having to change his phone to get it reliable..

I need a router like this to enable me to reliably connect to 20+ devices and to reserve static IP addresses for 15+ of these - this is not possible on the TalkTalk router and not reliable on my current VR2800.  

However, hope I can get this one working or sell it and hope the next person does not have the same requirements as me (and but a different TP-Link modem maybe) or just through this one out and lose the £70.

Options
2021-11-04 14:35:10

@TP-Link 

As I am still having problems with this modem/router. Any chance for trading in for the TP-Link Deco x20 (3-pack) that should work better?

Options
2021-11-05 03:10:23

@psl3 

Hi, Thank you very much for your patience.

Actually, I don’t think Deco X20 might be a good choice for you.

(If you are on the DSL broadband service, here I suppose you mean Deco X20-DSL?)

It combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the same SSID and does not support modifying channel and channel width yet.

Normally, Archer VR2800 should be capable of your case.

Have you changed the 2.4ghz channel to be channel 1 or 11 before?

What are 2.4ghz clients do you have? Are most of the smart home devices, like cameras and smart plugs?

Are there any devices that dropped the connection most frequently?

Options
2021-11-05 07:13:46

@TP-Link 

Thank you. If I may provide more detail.

Interference - From a Wi-Fi scan, I seem to have 2 neighbours on 2.4GHz - one with a lower power guest network -- so only 3 other routers showing.

Modem - I did hope to use the VR2800 for modem but did find some days it dropped to 1Mb download which has been solved by using the TalkTalk modem/router in modem mode only (getting my expected 32Mbs from a 38Mbs contract (unfortunately I am some distance using copper to the fibre unit so this is the best I could get via phone line). So the VR2800 is only using the router part and Talktalk modem which is stable.

Coverage - If I know how to calculate this, I think my house is approx 2500 sq ft and I do need the modem/router at one end of the house as that is where I have phone, power and at least 6 wired devices and manage the system from. Reason #1 for not using the ISP router was that Wi-Fi did not cover the house and I am unable to get wifi in my bedroom nor in an extension (signal has to go through an external wall). Unfortunately it is on the edge of what the VR2800 can manage too so not reliable & probably need an extender.

Connected Devices - Reason #2 for not using ISP router is that it kept rebooting, which from trial and error I assume as could not cope with the number of attached devices. 

At 6.30am I can see from the VR2800 panel that I have 20x 2.4GHz, 3x 5GHz and 9x wired devices attached. (some devices are off so not total we have - but we do only have max 3 in the house so not a lot of bandwidth required)

• 2.4GHz devices include 11x Smart devices (switches, lights, temperature monitor, scales) 2x Cameras,  3x computers/tablets, 4x phones (default 5GHz where possible), 3x Google Home
  • Wired includes other computers and Media devices (TV)
  • Cameras do not stream. Most Smart devices are locally controlled via a wired device (Raspberry PI running 'Home Assistant'). 
  • I do need to Address Reserve some of the smart devices to get a static IP for local control - so need up to 20x address reserve capability. (Reason #3 for not using ISP router).

I am perfectly happy keeping ISP modem in place but want to solve the range of Wifi - need a better signal through out, Issue with 2.4GHz - where sometimes a device just cannot connect regardless of distance.  And ensure capability for all the current devices I have and ability to add more smart devices (so capable of a large number of devices and being able to address reserve 30% of them).  

I thought the Deco x20 Mesh would cover range and quotes 150 devices although I would not be keen to have a device I could not specify channel or be able to separate 5Ghz and 2.4GHz SSIDs (athough mainly for diagnotic purposes - so not critical).  

I am on Channel 11 - neighbours are on 1 - and my test device (worst case) - scales I cannot configure as reports 'Wi-fi error. no response' when 3 metres from the router.  It successfully connects to all three old routers I have - so is a strong indicator of an issue with the VR2800.

Any advice would be great - including of a relatively budget tp-link solution I should change to.

Options
2021-11-07 16:37:21

@TP-Link 

Just one addition - had issues on a phone on 5G communicating with my Home Assistant system that is on 2.4G that was solved it seems by making the SSIDs and passwords the same. So I will be looking to always do this (which seems to be how Mesh systems work if I go that route.

Options
Related Articles