Powerline adapter drop after Smart meter installation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 11:50:19
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I had a powerlink extension setup around the house which was working fine. But a couple days ago my power company installed a smart meter, now my Wifi is abysmal! When I disconnect the TP-links the Wifi shoots back up to the 350/400mbs mark. Is this a known issue with smart meters?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline adapter drop after Smart meter installation?
2020-11-10 08:46:34

@Batebox 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Do you have TL-PA4010KIT, or TL-WPA4220kit

Can I have some pictures or do you have any model number about the smart meter.

If temporarily disconnecting the smart meter or powering off the smart meter, would the home router shoot back to 350/400 m/s as well with power-line adapters plugged in?

When you said, the Wi-Fi would be abysmal, could you please give me more details, like unstable connection, or extremely slow speed?

Have you ever noticed that the LED lights on the TL-PA4010, especially the power-line lights, would they go off?

By the way, what is the model number of your home router

Thanks a lot and waiting for your reply.

Options
2020-11-10 11:19:07

@Solla-topee Thanks for the response!

It's the TL-PA4010KIT with two TL-WPA4220 units connected to it around the house.

I've attached an image of the meter. Unfortunately I have no idea how (or really want to!) turn off with or play with the smart meter unit!

Yeah, in terms of "abysmal", the speed drops to around 3/4mbs...when I turn off the TP links and (even at a relative distance) just rely on the Virgin router (Hub 3.0) then I can get around 100mbs. 

The LEDs seem to be stable, haven't noticed any changes there.

Please bear in mind, I'm not upset with TP-Link! Everything was working pretty well and I was happy...just trying to figure out why they've dropped now and my only clue is that the smart meter has been installed when all this started.

Cheers
Heath

Options
2021-08-20 12:37:18 - last edited 2021-08-20 12:39:34

@Batebox 

I seem to have a similar problem but with TL-PA4020P KIT v2

After smart meter installation the speed has halved, it is now less than my DSL speed so obviosuly not good.

It affects every socket, but if I plug two powerline adpaters into the two sockets of a double socket, then it is fine.

Obviosuly the meter is having some affect on signals that go near it.

Would be good to know if any kind of kit upgrade would overcome the problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1947

Replies: 3

Related Articles