Archer VR2100 v1 keeps restarting about once or twice a day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-21 12:22:00 - last edited 2021-01-19 06:52:09
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 200116 Rel.60756n

I recently bought a Archer VR2100 v1 modem/router to replace my old one that failed after several years and for the most part it works except I notice every so often it'll restart itself. My old one held a stable connection and I've replaced all the cables and had a replacement one sent by Amazon but I'm finding the issue is with both routers. Is there some beta firmware I can try that has a fix for this as it looks like an extremely common issue with this model.

I should note that I have 2 separate friends that also purchased the same router and both are having the same issue so this is a widespread issue, the restarts typically take about 30 seconds but it does mean an interrupted connection so many users of this model may find they don't notice an issue if they aren't using it much.

I'm on firmware 1.1.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 200116 Rel.60756n

So this is a bug in either the hardware or the firmware and one would hope that it can be fixed by firmware.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer VR2100 v1 keeps restarting about once or twice a day-Solution
2021-01-19 06:52:02 - last edited 2021-06-22 02:57:41

@Unhappy-VR2100 @Chaoss 

Hello all, sorry to hear that you experience an auto-reboot on the VR2100.

If the auto-reboot issue, unfortunately, persists on the latest firmware, please kindly check if the latest beta firmware we provided in the below thread:

(Updated on 2021-06-22)

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/262804

This is the guide to update this beta firmware manually:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1756/

I hope this helps, good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Archer VR2100 v1 keeps restarting about once or twice a day
2020-11-22 17:27:01

@Chaoss My VR2100 has been doing this too and today it managed to power down as well. TP-Link appear not to want to help at all judging by all the disgruntled bloggs on the subject - extremely POOR service

Options
2020-11-24 08:08:20

@Unhappy-VR2100    @Chaoss 

Hello, sorry to hear that you both encounter an auto-reboot issue with the VR2100, please don't worry, we will try to help you out. While before that, can you both help confirm some details? Thanks a lot:

1. How often does this auto-reboot issue happen? Will it recover and reconnect to the internet automatically? How long does this take?

2. When the VR2100 auto-reboots, will all the LEDs on the front panel turn off then on? Is it feeling hot? If it is, put it in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, and use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.

3. How many devices are connected to the VR2100 most of the time? Is it rebooting when there is high-load or just normal browsing? What if you try to reduce some clients and monitor again?

Thank a lot.

Options
2020-11-24 21:38:25 - last edited 2020-11-24 21:39:14

@Kevin_Z

1: This happens roughly about once a day, at different times and it can sometimes be twice a day.

2: Yes, all the LEDs except power turn off and then come on, the 'whole router' restarts and I lose local network connectivity as well.

3: There's usually around 9 to 11 wireless devices connected (although not all in use) and 1 wired. There's nothing on the USB port. I tried disconnecting my phone and turning off 5Ghz but yet it still restarts even when there was only 4 clients connected (+ 1 wired). I should also add that the restarts happen both during the day and the night, it doesn't matter if there is a lot of usage or not.

4: The device is in a well ventilated area and I've tried it laying flat on my desk and mounted to the wall vertically but again no difference.

No amount of mucking with the settings seems to make any difference whatsoever.

Options
2020-11-25 01:09:44

@Chaoss 

Hello, thank you very much for your detailed info.

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers, and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-11-25 14:19:52

@Kevin_Z 

1. How often does this auto-reboot issue happen?  3 to 4 time a week Will it recover and reconnect to the internet automatically? usually but has powered down on one occasion (no problems with mains) How long does this take? about 4 to 5 minutes

2. When the VR2100 auto-reboots, will all the LEDs on the front panel turn off then on? no idea, I am not usually in the same room Is it feeling hot? just warm If it is, put it in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, and use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.

3. How many devices are connected to the VR2100 most of the time? about 7 to 8 Is it rebooting when there is high-load or just normal browsing? variable, often when streaming TV but this morning about 2am with nobody awake in house so not very much (maybe auto email polling) What if you try to reduce some clients and monitor again? no point, see previous answer

Options
2020-11-26 01:24:51

@Unhappy-VR2100 

Hello, thank you very much for getting back.

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers, and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
Re:Archer VR2100 v1 keeps restarting about once or twice a day-Solution
2021-01-19 06:52:02 - last edited 2021-06-22 02:57:41

@Unhappy-VR2100 @Chaoss 

Hello all, sorry to hear that you experience an auto-reboot on the VR2100.

If the auto-reboot issue, unfortunately, persists on the latest firmware, please kindly check if the latest beta firmware we provided in the below thread:

(Updated on 2021-06-22)

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/262804

This is the guide to update this beta firmware manually:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1756/

I hope this helps, good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-29 15:07:34

@Kevin_Z 

I am also having problems with this device. Reboots daily and since trying the beta firmware our broadband speed has dropped to 38mbs from around 70mbs. We're on EE and I've had the line checked for faults by an engeneer. 
We first noticed the issue about 3 months ago but because we're both key workers not really had time to sort it out. 
Now I've had a look through the forums it seems that TP-Link feel happy to sell a product for months and months knowing full well there is an issue with it. Very poor show and for me it means that when I get round to sorting this out it will mean I will not be considering anything made by TP-link. I will also make sure that friends and colleagues also know NOT to ever buy anything from you either. 
it's a useless piece of kit that is not at all fit for purpose. 

Options
2021-02-01 10:40:34

@Grufster 

Sorry to hear that you have new issues with the beta firmware, can you please try to reset the VR2100 to factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch when it is convenient? Our R and D engineers are working actively on this issue, while it seems that the issue is related to some specific ISP lines, so this takes long to fix it.

If the speed is still slow after the reset and reconfiguration, kindly show us the DSL status page on the VR2100, we will try to investigate further, thank you.

Options
2021-02-08 13:43:05
I’ve reset but with the beta firmware it is still rebooting on a regular basis. The broadband speed has returned to normal but it’s rebooting 2-3 times a day.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2245

Replies: 12