KP303 killing wifi networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-29 22:51:36
Model: KP303  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Can't tell

Hi,

I've got a bit of a unique problem. Some background i've got 3 existing HS100 smartplugs of various ages and hardware models. I received a KP303 smart extension lead today and the moment i tried to set it up my entire 2.4Ghz wifi network crashed, then disappeared and the 5Ghz band became unresponsive. I tried rebooting the router, unplugging devices, trying to paid via an ipad as opposed to my android phone (Samsung S10) no luck.

Eventually i reset the router and rebuilt the networks using new SSIDs, but this time added the Kasa devices to a guest network which appeared to work. However 2 hours later the same thing has happened. I repeated the steps, leaving out the KP 303 and everything is working fine for the last 4 hours.

I've got about 11 (including the KP303) devices connected to the 2.4G band and 7 connected to the 5Ghz band - any ideas, or is it getting returned to the retailer for a refund?

Thanks.

Options
12 Reply
Re:KP303 killing wifi networks
2020-11-30 02:08:00

@WhiteRedHat 

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

May I know the model number of your home router?

Did the issue start just after setting up the KP303?

Later, we would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-11-30 21:39:45

@TP-Link Hi, it an Asus Bluecave AC2600. Yes the issue started as soon as i tried to add the KP303 to the Kasa app - specifically when i tried to add the device to the 2.4Ghz network.

Options
2020-11-30 22:09:37
Your router would not come back up even if power cycled after unplugging the LP303? Try turning off the phone with the Kasa app to be 100% sure. If it still doesn't come back up something else wrong with your network...
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-12-01 02:37:27

@WhiteRedHat 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Could you please help me check the details mentioned by Mike?

Your router would not come back up even if power cycled after unplugging the LP303? Try turning off the phone with the Kasa app to be 100% sure. If it still doesn't come back up something else wrong with your network...

Thanks for your advice as well @MikeP heart

Options
2020-12-02 02:37:12

@WhiteRedHat 

Yes, I have the same issue and sam response. Try many time. Still doesn't works. Anyone can help?

Options
2020-12-02 10:36:31 - last edited 2020-12-02 10:42:06

@MikeP Hi Mike, After i power cycle the router the router remains powered on and the 2.4Ghz wifi networks appear briefly before they all disappear. When i unplug the KP303 and then power cyclle the router the issue still remains. I turned off the phone, rebooted it and watched the wifi behaviour from another device (iPad) and it's the same - as soon as i try to add the KP303 it takes down both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

The 5Ghz network recovers but devices can't connect to it.I appreciate your thoughts on something else being the issue, but the only change that triggers this issue is adding the KP303 - therefore it is the root cause.

I also took the following action:

1. Factory reset the router

2. Created 1x 5Ghz main network and 3x 2.4Ghz networks (1 main and 2 guest - the guest networks only have internet access, no intranet)

3. I added all non smart home devices on their respective main networks networks

4. Let this config sit for 2 hours - no problems; strong signal everything working.

5. I added all smart home devices (3x TP Link HS100s, 2x Ring cams and 3x Echos) to the 1st 2.4Ghz guest wifi network

6. Let this config sit for 2 hours - no problems; strong signal everything working.

7. Attempted to add the KP303 to the 2nd 2.4Ghz network. Managed to step through the process in the app and as soon as it showed success - pop, all wifi networks disappeared from almost all devices. The 5Hz network re-appeared but most devices could reconnect to it; iPad and Android phone tried but failed. However my desktop PC connected via an Intel wifi card remained on the network..

8. I powered cycled the router; wifi networks briefly re-appear but only the 5Ghz stays online and again most devices can't connect to it except my PC with Intel AX200 wifi card.

9. I connected my laptop via ethernet cable to the router and changed the 2nd guest wifi network password (the one the KP303 is meant to be connected to) and the wifi networks come back online - presumably because it's blocking the KP303 from accessing the network.

10. I left the left the power strip on, but disconnected from the main or guest 2.4 Ghz networks/unconfigured in the app and the router/wifi networks are behaving normally - i.e. are working.

So i've managed to isolate that the KP303 is triggering the behaviour; somehow as it's being added, or is added to the network it is triggering the issue as well as leaving lasting disruption. I wonder if the PC is retaining its wifi connection because the connection in contant use/always on, and doesn't need to drop off then re-connect to save battery (like a phone, iPad, battery powered cameras etc..). But somehow the KP303 is disrupting the routers ability to allow devices what periodically/frequently drop off then reconnect to save power from re-connecting at all.

Note that the older TPLink devices had no impact and are working fine until the newer one is added to the network - what software/hardware changes have you enacted in terms of wifi connectivity in the KP303?

Options
2020-12-02 17:57:16

@WhiteRedHat Ok, that makes more sense.  If you can unplug the KP303 and your network comes back up after a few minutes, then it's certainly a bug in the KP303 firmware - probably ARP flooding.  If the router needs a power cycle to recover it's probably a bug in the router or KP303 firmware that's incompatible with each other.  I'd first check for a firmware update for the router, and if there's nothing maybe try setting up a guest network or an old router or maybe even a phone hotspot to see if there's an update for the KP303.  Failing all that the only option might be a return, perhaps after working with TP Link support.  I don't work for TP Link so it's very possible I know nothing helpful here...

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-12-03 01:12:29 - last edited 2020-12-03 01:13:05

@WhiteRedHat 

We would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and please have a check of your email box later.\

Hi @Martiny 

Is your router also Asus Bluecave AC2600

If not, then what is it?

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-12-03 04:45:20
Netgear RAX40
Options
2020-12-03 05:46:18

@Martiny 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply.

As for the Net-gear RAX40, we had this feedback before and after several test, it has been confirmed that it was the router issue.

Please have a check with the router support.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1849

Replies: 12