Security Database Updates

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-11 08:48:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 build 20200918 rel 75286

I have a mixed Deco environment comprising 2* M9Plus (1.4.3 build 20200918 rel 75286), 1* M5 (1.5.1 build 20201022 rel 66804) and 1* E4R (1.4.3 build 20200918 rel 44982). Recently I have noticed that I randomly get around 30 minutes of network instability and the link from my ISP router to the Deco M9plus drops. After monitoring, I have found that this always happens when the security database is updated, and when it does the update, I seem to get 2 or 3 within the 30 minutes of instability. My theory is that the Deco is rebooting (at least restarting network processes) when the database is updated.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of network instability and also does anyone know of a way to schedule these updates so they do not happen in the middle of the day - with COVID-19, I am working from home and have multiple conference calls. It does not look good when the system drops mid call.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Security Database Updates
2020-12-14 07:09:26

@VinceMarsters 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

Normally, the security database would not update once or multiple times a day.

Currently, it would only be updated together with the firmware upgrade and the recent database update is only on Deco M5 1.5.1.

So I think it is not likely related to the security database.

But it would be highly appreciated that you could provide more details about how you found out it is related to the database updating;

And would any Deco turn red or yellow when the connection dropped?

Did all the mobile devices have the unstable connection?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Security Database Updates
2020-12-14 07:31:38

@TP-Link 

I narrowed it down to the security database update as when the link dropped, I waited for it to come back up and then checked the Deco app on my Android. At this time, I could see the security database was being update. Also a couple of minutes later, I got a message in the Deco app that the database had been updated too. About 5-10 minutes later the same thing happened. I have now been able to see this on a couple of occasions so am fairly confident this is related.Unfortunately nothing in the app or messages tells me which deco has initiated any database upgrades but the main router is an M9plus (I want the 3 channel router to be the primary one for performance).

When the link drops, I can tell the interface is down as my ISP router logs the link state change. All devices connected to the Deco go 'offline' and most manage to come back automatically on their own afterwards (a few IOT devices take longer but I suspect that is related to the IOT device itself tbh). 

Vince

Options