Please Help.. Sonos intermittent connection when using Powerline adaptor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-15 12:37:32 - last edited 2020-12-16 11:03:20
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: latest

Please help, I'm a non techie, so besides changing password for my router its almost default config

I have a Sonos smart speaker (ONE) and when I used it with my SKY router I've had no issues, since installing my new Archer VR400 router, my wifi connection at the back of the house if weak, and this is where my Sonos is, as such I've purchased TP Link powerline adaptors (AV600) I have 3 of these. two at the back of the house,

My laptop connects to one of these Powerlines and I have TEAMs calls all day, no issue, One in my kitchen where my Sonos is and one in my attic room where I run Netflix on my Smart TV, with no issue. the one in the kitchen has been fully tested by hooking up a laptop, phone, Smart TV. all with no issue (I only connected these devices as a test, otherwise nothing connects to this adaptor in the kitchen unless I go in there with my phone)

I've added the SSID and Passwords to be the same as the router and across all adaptors and I've done a walk though test with my mobile device and as my wifi gets weaker it automatically connects to the next Powerline adaptor

However it appears that My Sonos wont connect via a Powerline adaptor, If I move my Sonos to be in range of the router it will connect and stream my playlist all day long (just yesterday I streamed for more than 5 hours non stop)

When I move my Sonos back to the kitchen where the wifi is weak, it streams for approximately 15 mins or 7 songs and then disconnects from the wifi and I have to switch the speaker on and off for it to reconnect, only for the same to happen 15/20mins later. So from a process of elimination, the Sonos is not seeing the Powerline and instead its hooking onto the weak wifi signal and then intermittently dropping the connection

I've also noticed that 5g is not available via the Powerlines, so I cant connect via that.

Lastly, not sure if this is related, but about once a week, both my Wife’s and my phone, wont connect to wifi and we have to switch wifi off and on and then we start to get messages through, (We get the full wifi logo at the top of the phone with an exclamation mark next to it)

When I've been testing Sonos in the kitchen, I've tested when there are no fridges, washing machines, boiler or any other devices that may cause a load and I get the same issue, I've also tested whilst the white good are on and still get the same results

These powerlines are all on the same electrical circuit, plugging direct into the electric wall sockets and not using any electric extender leads/adaptors 

I know this is a long message, but I think this is probably an easy config fix, and I would feel competent to apply it, I just don’t know what to apply

Lastly, as my Powerline has ethernet connections and my Sonos also has ethernet, I've hardwired that into the kitchen powerline adaptor and I still have the same issues, I'm convinced that the Sonos is not seeing the Powerline wifi

Rareley I get a message on my laptop saying "wifi connected without any internet) and I disconnect and reconnect, I think this could be related to the phone issue, but I often reboot my laptop, rather than leaving it running, Its almost as if every so ofeten the Wifi is dropping and reconnecting and my phones and laptop can not handle the reconnection. However this is definately a different issue to the Sons

Thanks in advance for your assistance 

Regards -  John-Boy

Options
7 Reply
Re:Please Help.. Sonos intermittent connection when using Powerline adaptor
2020-12-23 07:38:25

@John-boy 

Hello, this seems more like an issue between the AV600 and the Sonos speaker. May I know the model number of the AV600, is it TL-WPA4220 TKIT? How are the three AV600 paired with each other? Is it like the below? If it is currently not, please pair them as the below:

VR400---(Ethernet cable)---main AV600===powerline cable===2nd AV600

\===3rd AV600

Is the Sonos speaker connecting to the 2nd AV600 or the 3rd? When the Sonos stops working, how about the LED status on the AV600, especially the Powerline LED, is it still solid on and green?

Just to make sure, is the Sonos speaker working fine when it is connected directly to the VR400?

Options
2020-12-23 10:02:58

@Kevin_Z  hello Kevin and thank you for your reply, regarding the VR600 model number, yes they are the WPA4420 (UK) ver. 4, But no mention of the TKIT on the label 

Yes I have a physical cable from the Router to the first powerline adaptor, (this is a TL-PA4010 UK ver 3) and this was in a box along with the AV 600

Yes I have paired the 3 AV600's to the TL-PA4010.

They all work when doing a walk through test with my mobile phone and as the signal weakens as I move away, it automatically connects to the next AV600 in range.

Yes the AV600's are showing green when I have the issues

As far as I am aware the Sonos is not connecting to the AV600's and works perfect when in range of the router (I.e. not going through an AV600) and it will play all day long (wirelessly)

However the signal in the kitchen is very poor and this is when I have the issue. Which makes me think it's not seeing the AV600, 

I've also plugged an Ethernet cable from the AV600 in the kitchen in to my Sonos and still have the same issues

Lastly, I have swapped the AV600's around a d still have the same issues

***I'm not sure if it's relevant, I have another post, two days after this one, saying that I am experiencing issue where my mobile devices are showin the wifi signal, but I have no internet, (I get an exclamation mark next to my wifi signal at the top of my phone) when I mentioned this to a work colleague they suggested that the router could being clearing the IP table, but the phones are holding the old IP address

when I switch off wifi on the phone and switch back on, it instantly gives you internet connection again

Perhaps Sonos is connecting and it's this IP clearing that's the issue and Sonos also remembers the old IP address

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your support 

Regards John-Boy 

Options
2020-12-23 11:01:19

@John-boy 

Hi John, thank you very much again for your detailed reply. There is an Address Release Time setting on the VR400 (Advanced->Network->LAN settings), you may check what is the current value, while I think the default setting would be enough, and it may be irrelevant with the Sonos issue that you are experiencing:

As for the wireless exclamation mark issue, does it also occur when you are connected to the VR400 directly? How about the internet LED on the VR400, is it always on? You may check if the phone can ping the VR400 when the Wi-Fi connection displays an exclamation mark, the default IP address is 192.168.1.1, then try to ping 8.8.8.8. If you can get through by pinging 192.168.1.1 but cannot get response from 8.8.8.8, try to change the DNS settings on the VR400 to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, then reboot it and reconnect to the Wi-Fi.

Options
2020-12-23 12:00:25

@Kevin_Z

hi Kevin, thanks for the speedy response, yes the  Address Lease time is set to default 1440, should I change this, 

Happy to try the ping, I know how to do this on my laptop via a cmd prompt, but I dont know how to do this from my Galaxy A50 mobile phone. Do I need get get an app from the play store

Yes happy to use this post for both issues..

Thanks Kevin

John..

Options
2020-12-24 02:45:15

@John-boy 

Hi John, I think the default Address Release Time setting is good, no need to change that.

As for the ping test, you will need to install some third-party software on the Galaxy A50, you can search for those ping test applications on the Google Play Store, such as Android Terminal Emulator, then run the test.

Options
2020-12-24 10:01:25

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin.

I've gone on play store a d downloaded a  app called "Ping Tools" 

Given it's nearly Xmas, it will probably be a few days now until I attempt any testing, but as soon as I do I'll report back

Have a nice Xmas lockdown break..

John

Options
2020-12-24 11:37:58

@John-boy 

Hi John, wish you a merry Christmas, keep safe.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1092

Replies: 7

Related Articles