X60 Slow Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X60 Slow Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
X60 Slow Speeds
X60 Slow Speeds
2020-12-17 00:02:55
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 202001013 Rel. 64247

I've had the X60s since September 2020 and intially they were working fine. However after the recent updates I've noticed diminished speeds.

Initially I had 400Mbs speeds and I was seeing 300-350Mbs on wifi back in September. When the November updated landed I started seeing speeds go down into 200Mbs speeds or less. Initially I attributed this to Spectrum being, well Spectrum. However I've upgraded to a new ISP with 1Gbs Fiber and now I'm seeing even less performance on the X60s. I'm averaging 150Mbs or less on a daily basis.

Steps Taken to Remedy the Situation:

1. Different Ethernet cables
  2. X60s straight into the modem (X60 set to Router Mode)
  3. Only 1 X60 connected
  4. Switching X60 to AP Mode (Plugged into an external router. Router was varified to perform at 1Gbs)
  5. Hardline into the X60 (Hardlined connection was just as slow as Wifi)
  6. Install the update through the web interface
  7. Made sure QoE was set to 1Gbs
  8. High Priority for devices used to test
  9. Set Wifi to just 2.4Ghz
  10. Set Wifi to just 5Ghz
  11. No guest network
  12. Guest network on
  13. Only one device connected to a single X60

*Note: Wifi was tested with both Wifi 6 enabled devices and non Wifi 6 enabled devices

I was looking to downgrade the firmware and see if the would resolve my issues, but could not find the repo. I like the devices, but they are not performing to the spec described on the box.

Would like to resolve this issue.

Options
8 Reply
Re:X60 Slow Speeds
2021-02-04 13:14:02

@Plasmarif  

experience the samething , previously use Deco M9 Plus ( 6 modules ) just replaced with X60 ( 6 modules ) seem like the range drop and speed drop too. example one of the module i actually using the Ethernet cable as backhaul using M9 can go up to 300Mbps download and upload 400Mbps , now with X60 less than 100Mbps for download and upload. 

Will revert to my M9 and retest .

Options
2021-05-12 13:47:26

@Plasmarif 

I have the same issue.  I have a 1GB internet line coming into the house (Virgin cable Network).  When I test the speed using the virgin WiFi and stand near the virgin router i get about 980Mb/s (expected).  If I connect via Ethernet cable to laptop to the Virgin router i get the same speed.  The speed remains the same when I turn off the WiFi from the virgin router and just test via Ethernet = 980MB/s

I connect my Deco X60 to the Virgin router via cable and ensure Virgin router WiFi signal remains off.  I connect via WiFi to the deco and cannot get more than 100Mb/s (standing right next to the deco router).  I connect a second Ethernet cable to the deco router and plug into my laptop and test the speed.  I am again capped to 100Mb/s.  My expectation is for the full 1GB/s.

I have also ensured that the deco is fully updated (latest firmware).  I have also tried this in BOTH modes on the Deco (access point or router) and I get the same result.  I have also tested on any combination of 2.4GHz and 5GHz (off or on)

So in short, it seems that in my case, I cannot get more than 100MB/s out of this device no matter the connection options (WiFi or direct by cable Ethernet).  I bought the Deco X60 because I was guaranteed faster than 1Gb/s speed.   I am getting 1/10th of the speed expected.

This seems to be a problem that is reported often in forums - please someone at TP-Link respond.

Options
2021-05-13 03:51:45 - last edited 2021-05-13 03:52:52

@Briday 

Hi,

Have you tested the speed on the Deco APP(via internet speed-test) when Deco X60 is on the wireless router mode?

Do you have a new cable that could be used to replace the one between the Virgin router and the main Deco?

May I know the MAC address of the main Deco? you could send me via private message;

Thank you and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-08-03 19:40:53

I'm having the same issue, paying for 1.5 Gbps down and 1Gbps up. When testing directly with the Modem, speeds are as expected. But for the last 2 months with my Deco x60 (3 nodes) I don't get more than 100Mbps up or down. 

Things I've tried:

• Speed test vai WiFi
  • Speed test via Ethernet
  • Reset each deco separately
  • Full reset and reconfig on the nodes switching which is primary
  • Test with only one node enabled
  • Cleared QoS settings
  • Disabled UPNP
  • Removed all High priority devices
  • Tested with only one device connected to the Deco x60

I need a solution to this as this is not workable with the bandwidth demands in my house currently.

Options
2021-08-04 06:17:48

@Bharani 

Hi, I would like to follow up on your case by email, and could you please help me check the following information:

1. Could you please draw a picture of the network topology from the ISP modem, to the tested device?

2. Please send me some screenshots of your speed test result:

--test with only one device connected to Deco X60 and wired connection would be highly appreciated.

--a picture of the link speed on the device, such as  How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client/  

Options
2021-08-04 12:10:21

@TP-Link The network topology is very simple: 

Modem --rj45--> x60 --rj45--> Laptop (when testing Ethernet connection, from the Status window the ethernet adapter on my laptop the speed is set to 1.0 Gbps) I'd send a screen shot, but not sure how to attach it here.

Modem --rj45--> x60 --WiFi--> Mobile via Deco App (when testing WiFi, less than 3m from the x60, no barriers in between the x60 and my phone [iPhone 7])

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Options
2021-08-04 14:25:41

@Bharani 

Hey Bharani,

I was able to find a solution, albeit a not satisfactory one, with some TPLink Technicians. Turns out that one of the units was defective and since I was out of warranty they would not replace it.

The end solution was to test each of the units separately one at a time connected to the modem to find the defective unit. After that I removed it from the network and now the two remaining units are working at max capacity.

With the refusal to replace the defective unit I would probably not buy TPLink again.

Options
2021-08-04 14:28:25
HI Plasmarif, That is good to know. I think mine are still under warranty, so I'll try that test with each unit and see if it can be replaced. Thanks for the details.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2663

Replies: 8

Related Articles