Adding another TL-WA850RE to my property....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-26 22:07:12 - last edited 2020-12-29 16:20:26
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi

So i have a BT Home Hub and two of their discs to increase the WiFi around the house.

Long story short, since bringing my work laptop home I've found there is an issue with the built in WiFi from the dining room where i work. It appear to be the adapter/card and not the signal....

Pulled an old TL-WA850RE 1.2 out of the back of a cupboard, plugged it in next to where i work and Ethernet cable from laptop to the port on the TL-WA850RE.

Much better WiFi instantly....

I want to buy another TL-WA850RE to use on my pc (personal) upstairs as the WiFi adapter on that i also getting unreliable. I have temporarily set up one of the BT discs in the office and run an Ethernet cable from pc to BT hub.

A tidier solution would be just to plug in a TL-WA850RE under the desk and then run the Ethernet cable to that.

If i buy and add another TL-WA850RE to my home network, will there be any issues with setup or usage?

in particular wondering about how to access the new TL-WA850RE when it'll likely have the same ip address (to log into the control panel) as the current one???

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adding another TL-WA850RE to my property....-Solution
2020-12-29 08:58:06 - last edited 2020-12-29 16:20:26

@BFP2020 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

It would be ok to add one more TL-WA850re into the current network, and they would get the different IP address from the BT routers once they are linked to the router, no longer 192.168.0.254 anymore;

Actually, if possible,  the powerline adapter would be a better solution If only the wired connection is needed, like TL-PA4010KIT;

(if the whole house is under the same electric circuit)

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010-kit/

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding another TL-WA850RE to my property....-Solution
2020-12-29 08:58:06 - last edited 2020-12-29 16:20:26

@BFP2020 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

It would be ok to add one more TL-WA850re into the current network, and they would get the different IP address from the BT routers once they are linked to the router, no longer 192.168.0.254 anymore;

Actually, if possible,  the powerline adapter would be a better solution If only the wired connection is needed, like TL-PA4010KIT;

(if the whole house is under the same electric circuit)

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010-kit/

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Adding another TL-WA850RE to my property....
2020-12-29 16:20:18

Many thanks @TP-Link and don't worry about the delay - nothing spoiling.

Good to hear i can use more than one TL-WA850RE and hadn't thought of the powerline adapters.

I did get some from BT about 10 years ago and whilst they recommended them for use with the BT TV box, a few recordings would randomly corrupt which they blamed on poor earthing in the house. Switching to a long ethernet cable  :( and then replacing that with a wifi adapter (TL-WA850RE and then BT Wifi Disc) solved the issue.

Might have to consider new PL adapters.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 628

Replies: 2

Related Articles