Deco M4 5Ghz problem with latest firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 15:12:42 - last edited 2020-12-28 23:30:04
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289

Hi!

I have 4 Deco M4 devices, 2 of them V 1.0, 2 of them V 2.0. Since I upgraded them to the latest firmware (1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289), some of my connected devices started to drop connections and became really annoying to use. For example, if I open a website on my phone, 4 out of 5 times it immediately generates a "network unreachable" or "could not connect" error. And even if it opens the website, the images or the CSS (style sheet) are not loading. 

Many different devices affected, for example: iPhone 6, Oneplus 6T, Huawei P20 Pro, LG SJ810V TV, iMac late 2013. For example my Dell Vostro 5590 laptop is not affected at all, so as another PC with a TP-Link ac1300 wifi stick. I tried to switch off beamforming and fast roaming, switched to Google's DNS servers, but it did not make any difference. The only solution was that I created a guest wifi network with only 2.4 Ghz and connected the affected devices to it. So it is a workaround, but it is still not working as intended (I don't want another wifi guest network, and 2.4 Ghz is way slower than 5 Ghz), everything should work conentccted to my main wifi network without hiccups. These devices had no problem with past firmwares. Is there any news about a new firmware which solves this problem?

Thank you and I wish everbody a happy new year.

Balazs 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M4 5Ghz problem with latest firmware
2020-12-29 14:36:56

Update: The guest network stopped working after a day. The devices can connect to it but they cannot obtain IP addresses. Disabling and re-enabling works 4 out of 5 times. This newest firmware is a disaster.

Options
2020-12-30 05:41:38

@VBalazs 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Did the instability issue only happen to the 5ghz band of the Deco, or 2.4ghz affected as well?

2. After the firmware upgrade, have you tried to reset the whole system and set it up again?—if possible, maybe changing another Deco as the main Deco?

3. Could you please provide a detailed picture of how these four Decos are connected to each other?

By the way, Did all the 4 Decos have the same issue or just the satellite Deco?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-31 08:04:00

@TP-Link 

Hi!

1. I just tested 2.4 GHz in these days. Guest 2.4GHz and main 2.4GHz are also affected. If I disable 5 GHz and force 2.4 GHz, it starts working flawlessly with no issues, but just for an hour maybe, and the symptoms are back. (I double checked, the clients were on 2.4 GHz during the test)

2. No, I did not. (Yet.)

3. I have an ISP provided router, it is connected via LAN to the main Deco M4 (PPoE passthrough). I have another M4 in the living room. There are 2 more units upstairs, the first one (let's call it Upstairs1) which is nearer to the main, connects to the main, the other one (Upstairs2) connects to Upstairs1. The issue is present everywhere, no matter where we are, upstairs, downstairs, or even in the garden.

So, these are the connections:

ISP router via LAN cable to Main Deco (M4 V1)

Main Deco via Wifi to Living Room Deco (M4 V2)

Main Deco via Wifi to Upstairs1 Deco (M4 V1)

Upstairs1 Deco via Wifi to Upstairs2 Deco (M4 V2)

And I have tho emphasize that the devices, layout, everything was the same and 100% working before this last firmware. I installed the firmware on 22 nov 2020.

Best,

Balazs

Options
2020-12-31 19:09:43

Update: I changed the main Deco, it worked for a few hours, now the issue is back.

Options
2021-01-09 14:19:49

@TP-Link 

Any other ideas? The problem still persists. Do you plan to update the buggy firmware in the near future? Or can I go back to the previous one?

Best,

Balazs

Options
2021-02-01 21:04:36

I have probably a similar issue. Iphone 6 and the Deco's is totally not workable 95% of the time. Also Asus N76 notebooks not working on Wifi.  I have no idea if it is related to the latest firmware, but I am running this same firmware. I have these deco's now 4 weeks and they are horrible. Totally unstable and I have been taking in many complaints from people using my wifi. I was prommissed a perfect wifi but it turns out to be exactly the oppiosite. I never had such bad wifi in my life! I probably will take them out of my network and return them if no solution is provided within a few days.

Tech details:

My deco's are in AP mode. Got 3 of them (3-pack). All connected wired (via switches) to a FritzBox configured as router. Nothing special.

Options
2021-02-02 11:43:25

@techy 

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback.

For your case, would you please help me check the following information:

1.Could you please draw a detailed picture of your floor plan about how these Deco units are connected to each other?

------if possible, please mark out the distance between each Deco;

2. Would the Deco turn red when the mobile devices dropped the connection?

3. As for the FritzBox, did you turn its Wi-Fi off and only use the Deco’s Wi-Fi mesh?

4. Did all the deco units have the unstable issue; if only leaving the main Deco, would the internet get much stable?

---please also test the Ethernet connection from the main Deco to see the stability of the wired device;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-09-11 08:47:18

@TP-Link 

Hello I am having a similar problem.
My phone keeps randomly disconnecting / reconnecting.
I do not encounter this problem on other wifi.
My network consists of two deco M4R V2 (1.5.0 Builde 20210511 rel.34580) 2.4G and 5G activated.

Thx

Options