Archer VR400 question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR400 question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer VR400 question
Archer VR400 question
2021-01-19 13:22:26 - last edited 2021-01-19 13:37:51
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

Currently my ISP keeps restarting my router every x number of days, which is affecting my work (i need to keep whitelisting my IP which takes a number of days). So i was looking at getting an external router to replace it with, so that BT cannot remotely restart it. 

i'm interested in purchasing this - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/

What's anyones experience with it? 

Can I keep it always on and not randomly restart? 

Kind regards

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 question
2021-01-21 08:39:28

@Puncake99 

Hi, I think you'd better check with your ISP first why they need to keep restarting the modem, if there is an issue with the line, as you know the Internet won't be stable if the ISP line is not stable even though you change with another modem.

Another thing is you need to ensure they allow you to connect a third-party modem on the line, otherwise you cannot build up the connection.

Options
2021-01-21 08:56:46

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, 

The reason my router keeps restarting is due to firmware updates, and theres no way to stop this happening. 

I'm pretty sure my line supports 3rd party, 

I have this router/modem on order and it'll arrive in the next few days

Options
2021-01-21 09:47:53

@Puncake99 

Got it. I hope the new modem will just work fine on your line, but let me know if it is not. laugh

Options
2021-01-24 02:23:15 - last edited 2021-01-24 02:24:23

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, 

All setup, 

Unfortunately wireless connection is terrible. 

I can hardly watch a 720p video without buffers let alone 1080. 

And this is at the middle of the night when nobody else is using the WiFi, I'd hate to think what it's like when everyone is using it at the same time.

I'm not sure whether this is a issue with the router itself, or where I have it placed. But since the power lead is so short, I can't really place it anywhere else :/ 

Options
2021-01-25 07:26:52

@Puncake99 

Hi, sorry to know that.  

Can you please connect only one computer to the VR400 with an Ethernet cable, leave all the other devices in the network off, then run speedtest on the computer 3 times to confirm how much download and upload speed you can get from your ISP, show us the screenshot?

Are there any special settings you have configured on the VR400? Please check the QoS setting on the VR400 is disabled.

What is the current firmware of the VR400? You can check if it is already on the latest, if not, update its firmware and reconfigure it to give it a go:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr400/#Firmware

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 315

Replies: 5

Related Articles