What is the best setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What is the best setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
What is the best setup?
What is the best setup?
2021-01-24 17:43:32
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

How to figure it out...

I have a modem/ router on the ground floor from Ziggo

I have also available 3 tp-link deco S4 units and also 3 tp-link archer 6 routers available.

I have an ethernet cable from the groundfloor (modem-room)  to the 1e floor (study), an ethernet cable from the groundfloor (modem-room) to the 2e floor (bedroom) and an ethernet cable on the ground floor from the modem room to the livingroom.

I need wifi on all floors

I need several ethernetports:

1x thermostat (modem-room) groundfloor

1x television (livingroom) groundfloor

1x playstation (livingroom) groundfloor

1x receiver (livingroom) groundfloor

1x computer (study) 1e floor

1x NAS (study) 1e floor

1x tradfri hub (study) 1e floor

1x television (bedroom) 2e floor

The modem/ router have 4 ethernet ports

The deco s4 have each 2 ethernet ports

The routers have each 4 ethernet ports.

What is the best way to set up this?

Maybe someone can help me to solve this puzzle :)

Gr. Lanieuwe

Options
4 Reply
Re:What is the best setup?
2021-01-25 10:20:40

@Lanieuwe 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, you could try the following suggestions:

1. Keep the ISP Ziggo router as the main router connected to the modem;
  2. Set up all the Decos and Archer C6 as the access points;---in this way, the 6 nodes are nearly the same and we could swap their location easily;
  3. Put each Archer C6 to where more Ethernet ports needs, and put all 3*S4 on the same floor which has the most mobile devices;

The simplified structure is like the following picture:

(There is one more additional Archer C6 and you could connect the other 5 nodes first, and if there is still a Wi-Fi dead zone, we could consider adding the last C6 back. )

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-25 13:47:03

@TP-Link 

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have been thinking and sketched the setup below. Is this setup also possible?

can you also helping me with that?

Options
2021-01-27 09:23:02

@Lanieuwe 

Hi,

The above connection map will work fine.

---the configuration is acceptable;

---as for the C6-2 and 3, please try to set up as the access point as well, then turn off the Wi-Fi and work as a 4 ports switch;

(if they are on the router mode with Wi-Fi off, there would be 2 different IP ranges, so the devices connected behind the C6-2 and 3 would have some issues when communicating with other home devices;)

How to set up: please log into the Archer C6 and go to advanced>operation mode> choose access point mode;

--if the Ziggo router has bridge modem mode, you could change to this mode directly and no need to turn off the Wi-Fi;(if not, you might need to turn off the Wi-Fi and turn off the DHCP server as well, since later the Archer C6-1 would be the router and work as the DHCP server.)

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-27 11:31:42

@Lanieuwe 

Thanks!
1. I have changed the setup since only 1 deco can be wired with the router. is that correct?

2. Is it possible that with the Accessponts Arch2 and Arch3 wifi also stays on? So that ethernet and wifi are passed on? (Arch1 stays on as Router Ziggo is wifi off and as bridge)

3. Arch 6 can't merge as mesh device?  But it can have the same wifi name and password?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 4

Related Articles