Changing the Wifi Extender password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-11 10:37:38
Model: TL-WA855RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been through the support articles, and the support chat bot, and it seems to be I can't change the extender wifi password. It apparently has to be the same as the Host wifi password.

Since this is NOT the answer I want or need, I thought I would ask here if there is a way to get around this. I know I can change the SSID name, which I've done, but without changing the password doesn't really get me anywhere. I've looked at changing the Host password, but I won't accept the password I need (Host insists on at least 1 Capital, and my password doesn't have one).

Someone please tell me there is a way around this...some way to change the TP-Link extenders' wifi password.

Otherwise I'm stumped! ;) 

Thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:Changing the Wifi Extender password
2021-02-16 03:45:03

@Memarkiam 

Hi,

May I know why do you want to change the password and currently, the extenders need to use the same password of the host router otherwise it would not have internet service?

As for the workaround, if 855RE did not work as an extender, access point instead, we could set up a different wireless password for the extender;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2022-01-08 20:29:19

@Memarkiam 

I have the same issue - apparently TP-Link range extenders (well at least the RE315) don't allow you to have a different password.

I wanted to use the extender to control access to the internet for children.  Pointless if I give them the password and its the same as the house!

Buy Netgear extenders.  They do allow you to have a separate password.

Options
2022-01-11 01:49:24 - last edited 2022-01-11 01:49:45

Hello @Antblue_0 

Thank you for your suggestion, I'm afaid we can't set up a different wifi password for range extender so far,  TP-link range extender uses the same security type and wifi password as main router after being setup.   Only AP mode (wired to main router via Ethernet cable) allow setting up a different Wi-Fi password. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3444

Replies: 3

Related Articles