Archer VR2800 - intermittent connection problems and system log not filling

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-13 14:01:31 - last edited 2021-02-15 09:55:55
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 170809 Rel.42095n

Hi.

I have had the VR2800 for nearly one year.

I get the occasional connection problem which I have been trying to diagnose without much success.

We are with Plusnet and we get approx 20Mb down and 6Mb up.

We have approx 15 devices connected (all wireless). Mobiles, laptops, firestick, sonos, etc. All 2.4GHz except for the firestick (5GHz). No wired devices.

The symptom is that a video (or even just audio) call will suffer a connection loss. It was bad yesterday - I lost connection 5 times in 90mins. Other devices were impacted. Ended up powercycling the router. After the restart it seemed to improve.

I have a command prompt where I continuously ping the local router address. The response time is normally low (<5ms), the occasional peak coinciding with other activities. When I lose connection on a call, the pings timeout for the duration of the problem. Given that these pings are local (to the router), does that suggest a WIFI problem rather than a problem outside of the house?

Any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR2800 - intermittent connection problems and system log not filling
2021-02-22 11:04:08

@RussL 

Please check if you are still connected to the VR2800 network when the ping showed timed out on the phone or laptop.

Try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer to look for a clear 2.4G and 5G channel, it will show you the nearby APs and what channel they are using. 2.4GHz is a very congested range generally, so avoidance of the neighbors can be difficult, but you should give it a try.

Meanwhile, the firmware of the VR2800 seems quite old, update it to the latest on the official website:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr2800/#Firmware

Options
Re:Archer VR2800 - intermittent connection problems and system log not filling
2021-02-22 11:36:53

@Kevin_Z 

In the router UI I had pressed [Check for Upgrades] and it said that "Your firmware is up to date".

But I've now downloaded the latest, which appears to be:

0.5.0 0.9.1

I will give that a go.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 835

Replies: 2