TP-Link TL-WA850RE (Access Point) with Virgin Media Hub 3 - problems!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-13 15:37:46 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:04
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200403 Rel. 72167

Hi all

My set-up is

Virgin Media Hub 3 router > Ethernet to Comtrend powerline adapters > TL-WA850RE (Access Point) 

I have just set up a new router and have problems with the stability of the TL-WA850RE.

Accessing the Hub's wifi directly is solid, but the range extender's wifi keeps dropping in and out.

Has anyone had such problems?

I have a vague notion that static/dynamic IP addresses may have something to do with it, but a bit out of my depth.

Also, as we speak, I am using the range extender's wifi, but on the TL-WA850RE configuration page the Internet "Status" is "unknown".

May be related.

Grateful for any thoughts

Cheers

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link TL-WA850RE (Access Point) with Virgin Media Hub 3 - problems!
2021-02-13 17:08:57 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:04

@jintymcginty 

I would try this without the homeplugs and see how it works, it could well be the homeplugs are dropping connection and causing issues for you.  Plug the router directly to the extender and see how that works for you, if not drop outs its the homeplugs

After that we can look some more for you, how long does it take to manifest the issue?  is it regular?

Options
2021-02-15 08:48:00 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:04

@Philbert Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate your help on this.

I replaced the power line adapter, the one I was using as the Access Point. At that point everything seemed to start working reliably - however I don't take that as proof that it was the power line adapter that was faulty necessarily, as the old one had periods when it worked fine too. 

In the same day, I removed the incoming line attenuator from the line going into the Virgin hub (on advice from Virgin who had apparently analysed the signal) and swapped the  existing Virgin hub for an identical replacement. 

So I don't really know where the problem was, or indeed if I still have an intermittent problem that is yet to recur, but so far so good after 1.5 days with the new components. 

Options
2021-02-15 17:42:56 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:04

@jintymcginty 

Glad you got it sorted either way, sometimes there is a lot to be said for just leaving it when its working :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1390

Replies: 3

Related Articles