Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

83 Reply
Re:Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2022-06-02 06:13:50

@David-TP 

Thanks David to your swift reply!

Following your answer I've been able to get maximum speed, but I also have several questions :-)

1. How do I measure Ethernet speed of a specific satellite M5?

The Deco App measures on the main unit..

The only way I can think of is using a 3rd party speed test running on my laptop that is connected to a satellite M5.

2. Based on your suggestion, I connected one of the satellite M5 directly to the router with a Ethernet cable,

and indeed my laptop shows maximum speed!  great! 

However, the entire ide was/is to have the satellite M5 units connected via WIFI to get better home coverage...

3.  Can this "trick" work also in router mode? My Deco M5 is now configured as AP working mode.

4. What is the second Ethernet port on the M5 unit? Can it serve as hub? this could help a lot in finding the best layout configuration.

Many thanks,

--- Moshe

Options
2022-06-02 06:21:53
Just to add that my maximum speed is 200Mbps. So I do expect to get high speed on the satellite M5 via wifi....
Options
2022-06-06 19:34:27

@TP-Link 

Virgin media with Hub 3.0. Stood beside the hub we get 750mbps anywhere else in the house down to between 2 and 15. So I decided a mesh woud help!

I've just setup three E4 units in my house. Set my virgin hub to modem only and got my phone online first as a test. I wanted to check the speed so did a speed test and only getting 80mbps max on the unit connected directly to my router. So I went close to the other two and did a speed test when connected to each and it was 80mpbs on both of those aswell. I'm sure even 2.4ghz wifi should be faster than that. My phone is 5ghz so I was expecting close to the maximum of 800mbps over wifi.

What's going on here? The WiFi improvement is amazing, but the speeds are nowhere near what I was expecting to achieve over WiFi. The fact they are all 80mps makes me feel like it's being limited to that somehow.

Your swift response and fix woud be most welcome!

Andy.

Options
2022-06-07 02:04:40

@Andybutler 

Welcome to the community.

I noticed the model number here is Deco E4 which has two fast Ethernet ports and the maximum speed is up to 100m/s.

Since the VM is able to provide about 750-800m/s, E4 would not be the right model for you, and Deco M4 is the correct modem with two gigabits ports.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-07 02:16:18

@Moshe-Steiner 

Thank you a lot for your patience.

And the following information is for your reference.

1. How do I measure Ethernet speed of a specific satellite M5?

The Deco App measures on the main unit..

The only way I can think of is using a 3rd party speed test running on my laptop that is connected to a satellite M5.

-----There is no direct way to test the speed from a specific satellite M5 and you might need to wire the laptop to this M5 and  run the speedtest on the laptop.

2. Based on your suggestion, I connected one of the satellite M5 directly to the router with a Ethernet cable,

and indeed my laptop shows maximum speed!  great! 

However, the entire ide was/is to have the satellite M5 units connected via WIFI to get better home coverage...

3.  Can this "trick" work also in router mode? My Deco M5 is now configured as AP working mode.

------When the Decos are on wireless backahul, due to the Wi-Fi interference/barriers(Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?), the speed is always less then the Ethernet backhaul. It would be the same on both wireless router and access point mode.

4. What is the second Ethernet port on the M5 unit? Can it serve as hub? this could help a lot in finding the best layout configuration.

-------The second Ethernet port of Deco could provide Ethernet connect for a computer/NAS, and you could also connect a network switch to extend the ports.

Options
2022-06-16 22:05:58

@David-TP 

Hi 

I have a Deco P9 set up and have noticed over the last few weeks slow speeds.

I've done a few wireless speed tests tonight, all units including the master are giving me a download of around 20meg, upload is weirdly 30meg. Used both my iPhone 12 and my MacBook Pro.

I'm on virgin 350meg. When I link my my MacBook with an Ethernet cable to the Master Deco P9 I got downloads of 360meg.

I did an update tonight and it made no difference.

Can you help.

Many Thanks

Options
2022-06-21 01:47:36

@D4mo 

Thank you for the feedback and I also got your message.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. Please turn off the 2.4ghz on the Deco APP, leave the 5ghz only, and check whether the speed gets better.

2. Please refer to this link and change a different Deco as the main DecoHow to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

If still no improvement, please refer to this link and help me check the wireless link speed on the Macbook when it is connected to the 5ghz of the main Deco.

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

By the way, may I know how long have you had Deco P9?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-21 08:26:31

@David-TP 

High speed is back up and running 😊

Turning 2.4 ghz off didn't change anything.

So I did the process of changing the Main Deco in the guide you linked.

The app didn't do the transfer properly so I switched the 2 units back round again so I could do it again. But before I tried the process again I did a speed test and the speeds were back to normal.

So all I can assume is unplugging 2 of the units has solved it!?

Many thanks for the help 👍

Options
2022-06-22 02:00:13

@D4mo 

That's quite unexpected and maybe restarting has refreshed the CPU and cleared the redundant memory.

We can keep monitoring the performance for a while and check whether the issue would start again.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:[Troubleshooting] Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2022-06-25 11:46:31

@Meyshia5000 I'm having the same issue, I have 3 P9's that have worked brilliantly for the past 2 and half years and the last couple of days they keep dropping out, I believe since the firmware update. Highly frustrating as I work from home and I need these to be working.

Options
Related Articles