TD-W8980 as a WDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8980 as a WDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TD-W8980 as a WDS
TD-W8980 as a WDS
2021-03-29 13:50:14 - last edited 2021-03-30 05:37:52
Model: TD-W8980  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TD-W8980_V1_150514

I have very basic network knowledge. I am trying to connect a TD-W8980 to a Deco M5 system as a wireless access point. I am connecting an OKI printer to the TD-W8980 via an Ethernet cable.

It has the latest firmware and I have followed instructions on https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/440/ to set up a WDS.

However, the printer cannot be seen by the Deco M5 system. I cannot print to it either, but I can ping the printer IP and connect via a browser by entering the IP address. I've tried "discovering" the printer on the network, this doesn't work either.

If I log onto the TD-W8980, I cannot see the printer connected to it as a client.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TD-W8980 as a WDS
2021-03-30 06:11:04

@jaffs 

Hi, did you also see TD-W8980 as a wireless client on the Deco M5?

On the printer, did you use the static IP address or get an IP address automatically?

Then please go to settings on the top left of the overview page>Deco Lab> Wi-Fi assistant>scan for the LAN devices and will you see any device that is using the same IP address as the printer?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:TD-W8980 as a WDS
2021-03-30 21:39:07

@TP-Link Hi. Thanks for your reply. I can see the TD-W8980 as a wireless client on the M5 app "overview" page. I set a static IP address for the  TD-W8980 on its configuration and another IP for the printer on its configuration.

On your suggestion, I did look at client devices via the DecoLab->WifiAssitant->ScanForDevices page. Initially this showed the TD-W8980 had taken the IP address of the printer. I then got the M5 to reserve the IP address for the TD-W8980 (in line with the address set on the TD-W8980 itself).

So now I can see the TD-W8980 with the expected IP address on the M5 app "overview" page. However, when I check the DecoLab->WifiAssitant->ScanForDevices page, I can see the TD-W8980 takes the expected IP address and also the IP I expect the printer to take (the MAC addresses are the same). If I "Open port checker" on the expected IP address of the printer, I can see the printer daemon on port 515.

Hence it appears the TD-W8980 is assigning it's own MAC address to the printer port rather than using the printer MAC address.

Should I be trying to bind the printer MAC address to the desired IP address on the TD-W8980 configuration?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 489

Replies: 2

Related Articles