Deco M9 Plus - Setup questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 13:53:28

Dear all.

I'm building a new home composed by 3 floors (basement, ground floor and first floor), each floor is about 110m and all floors are wired with optical fiber.

the Wi-FI will be generated from the 2GBPS modem/router installed on the basement. I would like to wire one Deco M9 Plus satellite per floor to be used as Access Point , like in the picture here below.

In your opinion, does this solution may work? I was wondering  if 3 M9 Plus units are too much considering the home size and if the wi-fi signal might be too much strong. What do you think?

Other questions:

1. Does TP-LINK have media converters from Fiber to RJ, able to support 1 or 2 GBPS ? Which one may I use for my setup?
  2. M9 PLUS has 2 Ethernet Ports, considering my setup, the first port will be plugged to the router. May I use the second RJ port for plugging a PC desktop which is not provided with Wi-FI antenna, or this port is to be used only for pluggin another M9 unit?
  3. When the Deco works in Access Point, at home you can always see just one network or do you see as many networks as the Deco you are using?

Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Setup questions
2021-05-12 15:27:37 - last edited 2021-05-12 16:23:09

@Thespoon 

I have similar size house with basement and two floors, and Deco mesh with M9 Plus units, running in AP mode. The following is based on my experience.

What you plan will work, and if you want good WiFi 5GHz coverage you should have one Deco on each floor. If your house has wooden floors (allowing good WiFi signal penetration) and you are OK with just 2.4GHz signal, two Deco units might be enough - but you'll be disappointed by WiFi speeds. I recommend you go with three, one per floor (including basement).

I bought M9 Plus, because I wanted good wireless backhaul that is available in tri-band mesh systems. I paid premium for M9 to have that, comparing to other Deco models. In your case, M9 dedicated wireless backhaul won't give you any benefit, as you will wire all your Deco units. 

Are there any other reasons you plan to use M9, instead of less expensive M4 or M5 with similar WiFi specs?

For your home network, unless your budget is really tight or you need something specific available in M9 only, I would recommend to consider Deco X20 or X60. They support WiFi6, which means future proof for your home WiFi. Deco M-series is only up to WiFi5. Nothing wrong with it, but WiFi6 devices could do better with home network you have if they connect to X20/X60. 

I don't know where you live, but right now, as I type this post, in Canada where I live I could order 3-pack X60 (it is on sale) on Amazon for about the same price as 3-pack M9 Plus (regular price). I can also get 3-pack X20 for same price as 3-pack M9 Plus. 

If you could find 3-pack X60 for same or very close price as M9 Plus, I would strongly recommend X60s and to buy them right away, while on sale. If X60s are not on sale, check X20s prices.

Specs for different Deco models can be found in this FAQ article: What are the differences between different models of Deco?

In regard to your network diargam and questions.

> "the Wi-FI will be generated from the modem/router installed on the basement"

That's not how Deco mesh works, if you assumed that Deco will rebroadcast router WiFi signal.  Instead, you will turn off WiFi on modem/router. Modem/router will manage your home network, Deco mesh will provide and manage your WiFi. You will configure WiFi network in Deco app, and you can use same SSID/password that was on your modem/router WiFi, so that mobile devices can seamlessly connect to Deco mesh after you turn off router WiFi.

>Does TP-LINK have media converters from Fiber to RJ, able to support 1 or 2 GBPS? 

Can't answer that. Just one recommendation: Deco M4/M5/M9/X20/X60 Ethernet port is 1 gigabit, so if there is substantial price difference between 1 and 2 Gbps media converters, don't waste your money on 2Gbps.

>M9 PLUS has 2 Ethernet Ports, considering my setup, the first port will be plugged to the router. May I use the second RJ port for plugging a PC desktop 

Yes, you can use second port to plug any device that uses Ethernet connection, which includes desktop PC. This is one of the Deco features I really like, and use.

>When the Deco works in Access Point, at home you can always see just one network 

Wireless device will see one Deco network SSID and should seamlessly roam between Deco units, which is the point of mesh system. Configuring device to connect to Deco mesh WiFi is same as configuring it to connect to a single WiFi router.

-------------------

If you have more questions or want me to clarify what I said, feel free to ask.

Options
2021-05-12 17:47:31 - last edited 2021-05-12 18:09:05

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your answer. 

I live in Italy and my project has not been realized yet, so I'm in time to change it.

I thought that wiring the M9 was a good idea because the signal received by each wired unit would have been stronger. Sincerely I don't know the mesh systems, I was afraid that using the wireless backhaul, I would have had a strong Wi-fi Signal with a low WiFi speed, due to the fact that my modem/router is placed into my utility room which is literally a bunker, slighlty separed from the rest of the home (it's a room dug into the ground, connected to the basement) .

If I well understood your message, If I decide to wire the floors, the better solution will be DECO X60.

If I decide to use the wireless backhaul, the best solution is the M9 PLUS.

Regarding what you said:

> "That's not how Deco mesh works, if you assumed that Deco will rebroadcast router WiFi signal.  Instead, you will turn off WiFi on modem/router. Modem/router will manage your home network, Deco mesh will provide and manage your WiFi. You will configure WiFi network in Deco app, and you can use same SSID/password that was on your modem/router WiFi, so that mobile devices can seamlessly connect to Deco mesh after you turn off router WiFi."

I image that:

1) you turned off Wi-fi on your modem/router,

2) you plugged the main Deco to your modem

3) the main Deco manages the Wi-fi with the help of the other 2 M9 units which work in wireless backhaul

that means the following setup:

I really would like to adopt this setup, but I don't know if it would work properly...

Instead, If I decide to install the 3 DECO X60 and let them to menage WI-FI (which will be turned off on the router/modem), may I plug all of them to my modem/router as indicated in my project:

or I have to use the Ethernet Backhaul setup? (cascade connection)

I'm asking because if I choose the one or the other setup, I have to completely change the wiring project 

Finally, considering all the think I said, do you suggest me the X60 or the M9 Plus?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Options
2021-05-12 20:26:19

@Thespoon 

Your original solution will work. You said you don't know the mesh systems, but you have made the best design for mesh system. Do not change it.

You should wire the floors according to your plan. Bring Ethernet connection to each floor. Connect each Deco to Ethernet cable for wired backhaul.

For your home network, with your design, I would suggest you get Deco X60, three units - one for each floor (including basement). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1440

Replies: 3

Related Articles