EXTENSION OF ORIGINAL ANTENNA OUTSIDE ON TERRACE.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-25 09:52:47
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: DONT KNOW.

I WANT TO EXTEND ORIGINAL ANTENNA TO OUTSIDE SO THAT IT CAN RECEIVE BETTER SIGNAL.

I WANT TO KNOW:

1. WHAT TYPE OF CABLE TO BE USED FOR EXTENSION. (SOME SUGGESTS LMR200,300,400)

2.SUCH CABLE COMES WITH CONNECTOR CONNECTED WITH IT OR WILL HAVE TO INSTALL LATER ON.

3.DOES THIS SET UP WORKS PERFECTLY?

THANKS FOR READING THIS.

Options
4 Reply
Re:EXTENSION OF ORIGINAL ANTENNA OUTSIDE ON TERRACE.
2021-05-25 12:06:03

@hp_jambucha 

Hi, if you want to replace the original antenna on the MR200, please keep this in mind when purchasing. The two external antennas are 4G LTE antennas, they are different from the ordinary wireless antennas. These antennas are mainly used to receive 4G signals from your mobile ISP by auxiliary SIM card. Five tips:
1). You need to change the two at the same time, and the two replacement antennas should have the same specifications. If you only change one of them, it will not achieve the desired effect, but the effect may be worse.
2). For the replaced antenna, the interface type needs to be matched. The interface type of the two external antennas is SMA plug, that is SMA male, not ordinary RP-SMA. The connector on the MR200 is SMA female, you can search online, ensure the connector matches.
3). The frequency range supported by the replacement antennas should be the same as the original antennas.
4). The distance between the two replacement antennas shall not be less than the distance between the original antennas.
5). Considering that the extension cable will cause signal attenuation, the longer the extension cable, the more signal attenuation, so it is not recommended using a very long extension cable.
Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options
2021-05-25 12:14:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hey thank for your quick reply.

My doubt remains as follows:

1. Should I use LMR 200 or 400 Cable?

2.Does it create problem if I use the same antenna provided with MR200?

3.Is 5 meter extension acceptable for low loss?

4.How do i find frequency of my original antenna?

5. In 4th point, did you mean parallel distance? You meant to say distance between two of them when attached to router should not be reduced while this two are extended outside the house. I hope you meant the same.

Thank you again.

Options
2021-05-28 06:52:22

@hp_jambucha 

We cannot provide you that info like which antenna is better, how much benefit or signal improvement you will get with the replaced antennas, etc., as our developer didn't test the performance with third-party antennas with the router.

As for the frequency of the MR200 v4, it is 790 MHZ-960 MHz and 1710 MHz-2690 MHz.

As for the distance between the two antennas, your understanding is correct, it is not suggested to put them too close to each other.

Options
2021-08-12 22:26:56 - last edited 2021-08-13 05:40:49

@hp_jambucha 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272342

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/273008

LMR400 Coax is a good choice, (you can buy it with the ends already fitted & or use a short patch lead to the modem, pictured) but the heavier the coax the better because of the losses @ these high frequencies (4G+ Aust. 700 - 2700 MHz )

P.S. Try not to use adaptors in the coax line as these add more loss (1 - 1.5db usually, remember 3db is half your signal lost)

John vk3hjq

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1907

Replies: 4