Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Solution] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-10-08 08:13:14

@Solla-topee isn't it crazy that now TP-Link users are sharing custom Python scripts to make your products work? Why are your engineers not just putting in a option in settings to DISABLE DHCP altogether??

Options
2021-10-08 08:18:05

@Jvmd 

I cannot agree more with your sentences...

Options
2021-10-08 08:37:40

@aNimorEs 

Just to make this clear for everyone; if after a powecycle, the PE acts as a DHCP server, by using your script from a computer on the network, to reboot the PE, all network issues are then solved?

Options
2021-10-08 08:53:41

@pipi 

After the power cycle the WPA will reach your router so the Smart DHCP will not start.

My setup is like this:

host A with script <---> TL-WPA8630P V2 <---> TL-PA8010P <---> router with dhcp <---> host B to ping

The script on host A tries to ping host B and if it fails it looks for WPA by mac and restarts it. When WPA starts it finds the router so Smart DHCP does not start.

The script should be obviously scheduled with cron every x minutes.

Options
2021-10-08 11:53:01

@aNimorEs 

If you have a server, you could 'cron'..

To be sure; did you check the leasetimes of the "SmartDHCP" IP addresses? Then we can know when other devices might be expected to recover.

Options
2021-10-08 12:01:37

@pipi 

I don't know lease times but I don't have any problems since I developed the script so I think they are very low. The WPA is located in an incovenient place so i cannot check.

As Jvmd said this is a user script to remedy until tplink will be manage to disable smart dhcp.

You can try yourself the script.

Options
2021-10-09 11:36:58

If the WPA starts acting as a DHCP server, and has issued IP settings to clients already at which point after the WPA stops being a DHCP server do those clients request valid IP settings from the genuine DHCP server that allow route to the internet and DNS settings?

How does the server running the python script communicate to the WPA device if that WPA device has placed itself in a different subnet from the server?

I'm assuming that the server has fixed IP settings configured on the server.

Another workaround is just using locally configured static IP on every device so it doesn't matter of the WPA becomes a DHCP server randomly.

Options
2021-10-16 17:40:01

How do we downgrade from this beta firmware?

It seems to be worse!

Options
2021-10-16 17:40:43

Also, I just found out that OpenWRT is supported on the TL-WPA8630P  V2

Options
2021-10-17 06:27:39

@riahc4 

Yes, but why should I change for another sw instead I use the one I have paid for TPLink embedded in the hw? I have got an 'extra feature' which cause a huge misbehaviour...

Options
Related Articles