Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Solution] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-09-10 23:41:02

@Louen 

Given their firmware is running some form of Linux, disabling DHCP at startup is dead simple. It's just laziness and giving a big middle finger to your customers. Well, we hear you TP-Link! You're destroying brand value like crazy!

Options
2021-09-11 08:42:54 - last edited 2021-09-11 08:43:56

The current beta firmware comes with the warning that "Smart DHCP" is re-enabled after power cycling the devices.

Since, as has been pointed out a number of times in this and other threads, the problem arises most often with the WPA Powerline adapters winning a boot race AFTER A POWER FAILURE affecting ALL network devices, the beta product in this state seems to have completely missed the point.

If the Smart DHCP returns after a power failure, then the problem still exists. I don't even see the point in "testing" the beta since it seems designed to fail. TP-Link still don't seem to understand the problem, which is bizarre for a company making network equipment.

Options
2021-09-13 15:02:39

@Solla-topee 

Is there any news when the new version of firmware is available with the configurable switch off function of the 'Smart DHCP'?
Currently I am not able to use TP-Link WPA8630P powerline adapter because it totally destroys the behaviour of my network if power outage occurs.
I took a while to investigate which component unintended behaviour causes so much problems. So, I am now looking forward to getting the  the repaired version of firmware.

Options
2021-09-16 12:18:15

Any news on the issue? I got the Version 2.1 (sticker on the back) from 8630P, and although I do net remember that I ever had problems with wrong IP addresses and/or no internet access, I saw recently in the log that DHCP turns on/off from time to time. The device is set up to dynamically receive the IP address from the router, and in he router the mac address from the TP-8630P is linked to a specific IP address.

Does this DHCP-related problem also exist for the version 2.1?

I own 2 sets, one TL-PA8030P Kit and one TL-WPA8630P Kit. Are all devices affected or only the one which offers WLAN?

Hey, TP-Link team: Selling a device which develops a life on its own and declares itself the DHCP server is a absolute no-go!

Options
2021-09-16 13:51:20

@Tschensy 

No, this issue is already known for YEARS by TP-Link, still no solution. Don't know how it works out for your specific model. @Solla-topee is the TP-Link representative in here.

Options
2021-09-18 08:31:27 - last edited 2021-09-18 08:36:13

Hey @Tschensy  you could navigate to the first page of thread to lean more smart DHCP on wireless powerline unit.

PLC DHCP will turn on when there is no other DHCP server detected, that means if router is working fine, PLC DHCP should turn off. 

We did get feedback of the issue on WPA8630P V2 (=V2.1) before, it is recommend double-check the Problem Description/ Phenomenon, and see if you need to upgrade the beta.

Options
2021-09-18 08:39:11

@Pmalinko  No update of the new firmware yet, we've forwarded your feedback to appreciated team, they are still working on the new beta firmware.

If there is any update, I will update on this thread in first time. 

Options
2021-09-19 05:19:24

Solla-topee wrote

PLC DHCP will turn on when there is no other DHCP server detected, that means if router is working fine, PLC DHCP should turn off. 

@Solla-topee 

Which as many people have reported is simply not true. It can take a router several minutes to come online after power outage. PLC DHCP simply CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A ROUTER BOOTING UP AND "NO OTHER DHCP SERVER DETECTED". The router IS working fine, still DLC DHCP starts acting as a DHCP server on its own. 

Options
2021-09-19 10:59:13

@Tschensy This only affects the WPA devices - the PowerLine only devices don't exhibit this behaviour.

I believe it is related to the web interface for configuring the WiFi - the thinking being that if there is currently no DHCP server on the network, the device decides to act as one in order to hand out IP settings to other devices on the network so they can get into the config interface.

IMHO this is an edge case that surely isn't worth the downside that many are reporting here. Rogue DHCP servers are a massive pain to deal with.  That TP-Link decide to put a device onto *consumer* networks that acts like this is hard to understand.

Options
2021-10-08 06:48:51

Hi all, you can try this python script that restarts the WPA adapter when an host on the other site of the network is not reachable.

It's a workaround that looks for the adapter via mac address, simulates a login and restarts it.

Options
Related Articles