VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

203 Reply
Re:[Solution] VPN Client is not working
2021-10-19 19:53:55

@Kevin_Z 

Hi there.

I have a router from Vodafone (operates in a modem mode), which is getting Internet over coax. cable with dynamic IP. Then I have AX20 connected with 1gpbs UTP cable to that modem.

I was having a firmware - 1.3.1 Build 20210524 rel.40909

Actually, later same day I've tried to install beta as advised here and then I was able to get OpenVpn connection working, so it's partially solved the issue - means I've got around 20mbps instead of 5 on hidemy.name provider and up to 50mpbs with ExpressVPN.

Still, speed is less compared to what I can get by use of VPN client on the machine, so looking forward for TPlink to work on this in future firmware version(s), please.

Thanks a lot!

Options
2021-11-04 10:38:28

@Kevin_Z 

version 1.3.2 Build 20210901 rel.69096(5553) is available for AX20. My hw version is 1.2. 

Able to use the vpn client ovpn which prior version cannot. 
tried it and it works. 

btw, update is through the router web client. Clicked firmware update and will able to trigger new firmware. 
1.3.2 Build 20210901 rel.69096(5553)

Regards 

Options
2021-11-04 11:10:24

@obiwan_kenobi 

glad to know the updated firmware 1.3.2 is available and works for you 👍. 

it seems tp-link has not release it yet for AU @Kevin_Z 

Options
2021-11-05 02:22:49

@Hiro_X 

This latest official version is releasing gradually, you should be able to get it in a week or so. Or you can check for the new updates on your router web page, are you able to get the new firmware?

Options
2021-11-08 17:29:13

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I have an Archer AX21 HW 1.20   that could not connect to VPN provider using the Open VPN client. Loaded the AX21 beta firmware on this thread and could connect now but found that the bandwidth available over the VPN connection with the AX21 router is much lower that using another openvpn client. For example, if I use the built in open vpn client that is on Ubuntu 20.04.3 I got more than 200Mbps of download connecting to the same VPN provider server while with the open vpn client in the AX21 only got around 50Mbps.  the Ubuntu machine is connected to one of the AX21 ethernet ports. Is this a known limitation in the AX21 open VPN client ? I do not seem to see the router CPU utilization go high in the routers status page while doing a download over the AX21 vpn client. Or was this fixed in the new firmware that some units are starting to get (No new firmware available yet for the AX21) ?  It will be great if wireguard can be added as other users has mentioned in this forum. Is much easier on resources and many VPN providers offer support for it. Thank you.

Options
2021-11-09 05:48:01

@Memjunk 

Hello, can we know the specific network layout that how is the AX21 connected to the network? How did you test the internet speed when connecting to the VPN service? Are there other services or applications running in the background?

Options
2021-11-09 13:14:46

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

The AX21 is directly connected to cable modem Arris SB8200.

Normal  ISP with no vpn speedtest gives around 360Mbps download / 12 upload.

When using the Open VPN Client in the AX21  ran a speedtest on 3 different machines (Ubuntu one , a Windows pc and MAC) and (connected either wireless or ethernet) giving the same result around 50Mbps download. Upload seems ok hitting what my ISP provides (around 12Mbps). Then disabled the VPN client in the router and connected to VPN provider from the Ubuntu machine built in openvpn client and this morning was hitting above 300Mbps download while with the AX21 VPN client just hit max close to 50Mbps. Did a download when using the AX21 vpn client and the max throughput is  indeed around 50Mbps. This test were done with nothing else using bandwidth in the network.

Options
2021-11-11 07:53:56

@Memjunk 

I've discussed this concern with the engineers that 50Mbps for a speed between the VPN Client on the home wireless router and the VPN server is pretty good, it's not bad as you thought. Apparently, the router CPU's can't handle the VPN encryption as fast as a computer with the app can. When you create an encrypted tunnel between the router and the VPN provider, that will add overhead to the processer/resources of the router, which would cause a drop in performance which also means a drop in WAN to Internet throughput.

You can also compare the speed of the VPN Client on some other home wireless router if that is possible, you might get similar results.

Options
2021-11-12 00:34:47

@Kevin_Z 

Understand.  Was hoping to get more bandwidth when using the vpn client. Is there a chance that wireguard can be added to the AX21 ? It is lightweight than OpenVPN and we should benefit having more bandwidth from it. Thanks

Options
2021-11-13 11:06:28

@Kevin_Z 

Still showing: 

Latest Firmware Version:

1.3.1 Build 20210524 rel.40909

:(( How long "gradually" could take? I'm in Czech Republic

Thanks

Options