Open Ports for Minecraft Server on Routers

2021-08-06 02:41:49 - last edited 2022-06-23 06:14:34

This Article Applies to:
TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers

Background:
Some customers in the community are reporting that they cannot open ports on the TP-Link router for the local Minecraft server, so their friends and family are unable to connect to the Minecraft world from the outside. This article aims to show you how to achieve that.

Solution:
We will not guide you here how to build a local Minecraft server, you need to search online or contact Minecraft for suggestions on that.

Step 1
Test the server locally. Ensure that you can access the Minecraft server successfully from another PC in the same network.

Step 2
Set a static IP address, or do Address Reservation for that gaming machine on the router.
How to configure Address Reservation on Wi-Fi Routers?

Step 3
Verify what kind of Minecraft service you want to share with the outside, then find out the communication port or ports for that.  Below are some ports required by Minecraft:

Step 4
Open the required port or ports on the TP-Link router as follows. Here we take port 25565 as an example, and IP 192.168.0.125 for the gaming machine for your reference:

Step 5
Find out what is the WAN IP address on the TP-Link router, and now you should be able to use that IP+25565 to access the Minecraft.

Note: Be sure the WAN IP on the router is a public one, otherwise, you will need to open the corresponding port on the modem in front of the TP-Link router. 
If you are not sure whether the WAN IP address on the TP-Link router is public or private, check
this for details. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:[Solution] Open Ports for Minecraft Server
2021-08-14 21:07:09

Hello everyone! For the final step, you dont actually put "+25565" rather you add ":25565" to the end of the ip address

Options
2021-08-16 03:38:59

@Ragnaros17 

That's correct, you need to put WAN IP:25565 to access the server. laugh

Options
2021-11-22 07:39:02 - last edited 2021-12-07 03:51:41

thanks minecraft apk at Modsuper worked fine

Options
2021-11-23 12:38:17

@Kevin_Z Thank you for sharing this. Looks good :)

Options
Re:Open Ports for Minecraft Server on Routers
2022-05-25 14:28:31 - last edited 2022-05-25 14:29:26

You get very confused and write in the wrong place, here is a minecraft community for you, here they will help you and solve your problems and questions https://99minecraft. com/mods/autopackager-mod-1-12-2-1-11-2/
Options
2022-05-26 12:06:10

@Kevin_Z This is a really helpful blog post on how to open ports for Minecraft on a router. You covered the steps in a really easy to understand way that made it easy for me to follow.

Options
2023-09-22 01:44:48

@Kevin_Z I am having this exact issue now in 2023 with minecraft bedrock with the newer TP-Link hardware i have tried both the normal web interface and the ormada cloud interface and both are causing me issues by not allowing me to add BOTH Lan and WAN port forwards it just states "The external port already has been assigned to other rules"

Options
2023-09-22 06:54:39

@FlameRider 

FlameRider wrote

@Kevin_Z I am having this exact issue now in 2023 with minecraft bedrock with the newer TP-Link hardware i have tried both the normal web interface and the ormada cloud interface and both are causing me issues by not allowing me to add BOTH Lan and WAN port forwards it just states "The external port already has been assigned to other rules"

Hi, what is the model no. hardware and firmware version of your TP-Link router?

The message "The external port already has been assigned to other rules" seems that the external port you configured has been used by other port forwarding rules, please have a check.

By the way, since you mentioned Omada cloud interface, I guess it is a business level router, if that is true, it is recommended to start a new thread on our business community:

Business Community

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 17687

Replies: 8

Related Articles