WAN speed limited to ~250Mb when "Access Control" is enabled for wired devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-21 01:05:21 - last edited 2021-08-21 01:30:53
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.7.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 210313 Rel.74106n

I don't know if it also happens to other models, but I've noticed it in Archer VR2800.

When "Security" -> "Access Control" is Enabled, downloading files or doing speed tests results in speed being capped to ~250Mbps. Of course, testing with a wired device (PC).

And obviously, my PC has a 1Gbps LAN port, and it's working speed is actually 1Gbps (as stated by Windows).

When "Security" -> "Access Control" is Disabled, download speeds reach max ISP speed (~500Mbps).

I've tested it about 50 times to make sure, disabling and enabling the option, and everytime the results are the same.

Resetting device and configuring it from scratch (instead of restoring a configuration file) doesn't fix this issue, which may be firmware-related.

Oddly, downloading a local file (from a device in local network) isn't affected by this problem, and speeds are always as expected.

Also, device's speed test works as expected. The issue seems to manifest only for WAN access from clients.

Has anyone noticed it in other tplink models besides Archer VR2800?

Note 1: I haven't tested with wifi;

Note 2: device is operating in "Wireless Router Mode".

Options
1 Reply
Re:WAN speed limited to ~250Mb when "Access Control" is enabled for wired devices
2021-08-24 12:15:18

@ElectrifiedMan 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

With Access control enabled, but no devices under blacklist/whitelist, the speed would still be capped to 250m/s, right?

Could you please test the wireless speed as well?

If possible, could you please save the system log on the modem for me?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 442

Replies: 1