AV600 freezing and requires rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-24 15:40:48 - last edited 2021-09-13 06:31:08
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_190326

After reliable use for many months my AV600 Powerline has started freezing every few days. The iPhone app and TP-Link Utility of my laptop cannot connect to it. A reboot sorts it out for a while.

The only change to my house wiring is that an old burglar alarm has been uninstalled and a new wireless one installed. I am not sure if that is relevant but thought I would provide the information.

Any advice appreciated. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:AV600 freezing and requires rebooting
2021-08-26 06:46:28 - last edited 2021-08-27 03:04:39

@Alan_in_Hemel  Hello, 

1. You could try to reserve an IP address on router for devices connected to powerline unit, and see if that help with stability. 
2. Turn off Power-saving mode on powerline devices:
 https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/
3. For test purpose,  put powerline units into the same room and test stability

If the above does not help, 1)  may I know House Led/LED Status on both devices when AV600 freeze?  If House Led is On when issue happens, please check the IPv4 address and gateway and send us a photo: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/
2) Please ping the default gateway and send us the ping results:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/
3) May I know your network topology? Do you have a stable wired connection on the main router? 

4) May I have a photo of  powerline rate between 2 powerline units on tpPLC Utility, did you notice power rate decrease since install the new Alarm system? 

Thank you for confirming the details~

Options
2021-08-26 13:22:18

@Solla-topee 

1. My router will not allow me to reserve IP addresses for the devices connected.

2. Power Saving Mode was turned off

3. It is not practical to place the units in the same room.

So for the second questions:

1. Picture below.

2. The link provided was the same as 1. so I do not know how to ping.

3. Yes there is a stable wired connection to the router and then a short Ethernet cable to an AV1000. The AV600 is in a room below.

4. Picture below, there has been no change in speed since the alarm was installed.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2021-08-27 03:13:13

@Alan_in_Hemel  Hello, 

Thank you for the details, I updated the FAQ of ping in my last reply. 

May I know do you have both AV1000 and AV600? If so,  it is recommended unplug AV1000KIT and test AV600KIT only as it would be better if we use the powerline devices with same powerline data speed in the same network for the best performance. 

May I know the model of router and detailed network topology:eg. 

Router Model Archer C7 --<Ethernet> PA4010  in living room ___ #1 WPA4220  in bedroom (upstairs)

PA4010___powerline __#2  WPA4220 

Options
2021-08-27 10:01:20

@Solla-topee 

The ping details are below.

The detailed topography of my set up is:

The first AV1000 connected by Ethernet to the router, a BT Home Hub 6 provided by my UK internet supplier. This is in my study upstairs.

A second AV1000 downstairs at the rear of the house connected by Ethernet to a satellite TV box. This set up has given me no trouble.

A couple of years ago we had a second Satellite TV box installed downstairs at the front of the house. The installer set this up using a wi-fi mesh between the two TV boxes. This gave us connection problems due to the solid walls in the house. I purchased the AV600 to provide an Ethernet connection to that box. Also the AV600 acts as a wi-fi extender which resolved an issue with poor wi-fi signal to the router in that part of the house. When I bought the AV600 it was supposed to be compatible with the AV1000's previously installed, indeed it gave me good service for a couple of years. Then suddenly it starts freezing.

Thanks for all your help.

Options
2021-08-30 12:41:53

@Alan_in_Hemel  Hello, 

Sorry for the late response.  May I know did you do the ping test and check the IP address when issue occurs? Or it is possible you did not catch the moment when issue happens. As from the ping result,  device/pc could still access router and ping 192.168.1.65, that means AV600 is still working with the main adapter. The power line communication should have no problem, and it is a possible router failed at moment.

It is recommend to change a different location for that WPA4220 V4, and remove the possible factors that may affect the power rate with the instructions here and see if becomes better
May I know does the issue occur on the all the devices connected to AV600, or only Sky Q box, if this only happens with 2nd SkyQ downstairs, you could check with sky Q box and see if you could manually set up a static IP on sky Q. If all the devices connected to AV600 becomes offline, it is possible AV600 is defective. 
Options
2021-08-31 10:51:31 - last edited 2021-09-13 06:31:08

@Solla-topee 

Hi

The ping test was carried out with the AV600 working. When it freezes again I will examine if the router has temporarily gone down and if not also try a ping test then. As usual with these problems having had a flurry of failures it has now been stable for six days!

The only device connected to the AV600 is the satellite TV box, it is not simple to try and move this as where it is has been created as a TV viewing room.  However when problems occur I connect my laptop to the AV600 to check the connection. The satellite system itself is flaky, so at times I am able to determine that the AV600 is connected and the box is lying about a connectivity problem. Rebooting the box puts it back on track. However in some instances recently I have found that the AV600 has frozen and that is why I started this post.

I will report back when it happens again with my findings. Thanks for all the help.

Options
2021-10-06 10:57:28

Hi

Not much to report after a month of monitoring. I am having to re-boot the TP-Link once a week but the times are random and I cannot determine any pattern to them. This is starting to look like something I may have to live with.

Options
2021-11-12 12:22:27

I have given up with the AV600 as the performance was poor. My two AV1000 adaptors work fine between my router and smart TV but adding a third to connect to another room was obviously an adaptor too far. It will be appearing on eBay soon.

Options
2021-11-18 10:43:38

Hello @Alan_in_Hemel really appreciated for your continuous testing it might be a faulty adapter after working for years. If you are going to update or replace them, I would recommend Powerline Kit of same speed for best performance. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1215

Replies: 9