Can Connect To Guest 5Ghz Network But Not Main 5Ghz Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-26 15:17:36
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A strange problem here. Recently bought a VR2100 and all of my devices (multiple computers, tablets, smartphones) connect to it without problem - except for one Windows 10 PC. This PC will not connect to the main 5GHz wifi no matter what changes I make to the PC settings - I have literally tried everything I can think of. The bizarre thing though is that this PC will connect to the 5GHz guest network if I enable it, no problem whatsoever, just not the main network. It will also connect to the 2.4GHz wifi but the speeds are punishingly slow. Tearing my hair out trying to understand this, any ideas?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Can Connect To Guest 5Ghz Network But Not Main 5Ghz Network
2021-08-26 19:17:06

@DrToast 

Try these wireless settings on your router:

On your PC make sure you're with the latest wireless adapter drivers.

Find your 5GHz network in Wi-Fi settings:

and click on it and select Forget:

Then re-add the network from scratch and test.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-27 07:06:22

@terziyski Hi thanks for responding. Those settings were already set that way, but for completeness I "re-set" and saved them again, and removed and replaced the network on the PC. No change unfortunately - will not connect to the main 5GHz network, but continues to be able to connect to the 5Ghz guest network.

Options
2021-08-27 09:05:08 - last edited 2021-08-27 09:48:16

@DrToast 

What's your PC wireless card make and model ? Did you update it to the latest drivers for Windows 10 ?

Are you receiving any error messages when trying to connect to the wireless network ?

If nothing helps you can reset the wireless card settings to its defaults - https://www.lifewire.com/reset-wifi-adapter-5179430

Then test again to see if any difference.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-27 09:44:56

@DrToast Except for the suggestion of terziysk, is there any error message when it failed to connect 5Ghz?

Options
2021-08-27 11:25:05 - last edited 2021-08-27 11:27:22

@terziyski 

Wireless card is an Intel (R) Centrino (R) Ultimate-N6300 AGN. Driver date is 06/01/2015 and version 15.16.0.2. (Note: I've tried several drivers, including those from the Intel site, all display the same behaviour).

The error message when trying to connect to the main 5GHz network is "Unable to connect to this network" immediately after the "Verifying and connecting..." message. At this point it seems to 'crash' the wireless adaptor so that all networks disappear. The network adaptor then has to be re-set (via "Troubleshoot Problems") to see the networks again. Just a reminder though that none of this happens with the 5GHz guest network on the same router.

I have tried re-setting the wireless adaptor previousl, even physically removing it and replacing it in the mainboard, no difference.

@TP-Link Error message is as above "Unable to connect to this network", followed by a soft crash of the adaptor.

Options
2021-08-27 14:55:44 - last edited 2021-08-31 16:32:01

@DrToast 

It sounds to me like a driver issue.

I looked at the Intel support portal and the final driver for Windows 10 is:

You can try to update the wireless adapter driver by selecting the adapter in device manager:

If you try connecting your mobile, is everything OK with 5GHz network ?

Options
2021-08-27 15:40:09 - last edited 2021-08-27 15:40:30

@terziyski 

Thanks for trying to help me with this, I do appreciate it. I have tried multiple driver versions, including the last ones available from the Intel site, the ones that Windows Update offers automatically, and some legacy drivers that I was able to find from some archive sites. Same behaviour with all of them - it will connect to the guest network, but not the real one.

The 5GHz network is otherwise fine, I've got several smartphones, tablets, a laptop and one other desktop all connected successfully. It's just this one Windows 10 PC that is causing the issue.

The old router was a an Asus DSL-N66U, and every device in the house (including the troublesome PC) could connect to the 5GHz network on that.

Options
2021-08-27 18:08:13 - last edited 2021-08-31 16:36:58

@DrToast 

IMHO this is a wireless adapter driver problem, since other devices are fine with 5 GHz network.

Sometimes many attempts for driver installation may cause such kind of issues.

Go through this procedure while skipping Step1 (Windows 10 update will offer you the latest supported driver).

You may also try the Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity at the end of the guide.

Options
2021-08-31 09:10:04

@DrToast 

Unfortunately that guide doesn't help - there is no option to "Delete the driver software for this device" in more recent versions of windows, all you can do is uninstall the device and either allow it to install default drivers or point it to specific ones. I've done that loop several times without any success.

What difference could there possibly be between a 5GHz "guest" network, and a 5GHz "main" network? Is there some way the router handles them differently? Are there any error logs available from the router which may explain why the connection fails?

Options