Latecy issues and lag spikes Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-06 13:37:27
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V19
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

The Problem:

Over the past month I started to notice sudden lag spikes when online gaming. These would last for 15/20 seconds probably about every 30 mins or so, the frequency of these interruptions has increased over time. Gaming is one thing but where it is causing me issues is when I am working in the day. Like lots of people I am working from home and spend allot of my time on video calls

Every video call that I have had in the last two weeks has suffered from atleast on sometimes more massive spikes in latency where by people cannot hear me and they appear to freeze, things normalize pretty quickly but it is extremely frustrating to miss parts of important conversations. 

My Setup

I have virgin media fiber running at 250MB via a HUB 3. I use the hub in modem mode and the deco acts as my router. I then have 2 other decos throughout the house. The signal strength it good on all of these. The issues described above happen both on my wireless connection and on my work laptop I am hardwired via Ethernet into the main deco.

Please see attached a broadband quality monitor I setup as I first suspected Virgin Media to be the issue. What you can see on the graph is the Deco's spiky response to the ICMP requests, and then after the big red bar is where I switched back to the Virgin Hub to be in router mode and started to handle the traffic. 

I would like to use my decos in the optimal way and there are also some really nice feature available such as the dynamic dns that I would like to keep. Therefore I would appreciate your support it resolving my issue.

Kind Regards

Nick

Options
4 Reply
Re:Latecy issues and lag spikes Deco M4
2021-10-08 11:29:37

@Nbaronmorgan 

Hi, I see under your TP-Link ID, the model number is Deco S4, and could you please check the model again?

Have you ever considered setting up Deco as the access point and keep the Hub3 as the main router since the CPU performance of S4 might be not so good?

And may I know how many clients do you have that are connected to Deco?

Options
2021-10-08 12:56:11

@TP-Link hello yes you are right it's an S4, I made a mistake in my main post. I have 15 devices connected to a mesh of 3 decos, 

Things like, phones, an ipad, laptops a tv etc but when I have experienced the problems described above it's only usually me using a couple of devices in the evening for example, Xbox and tv or PC 

I have considered access point only mode but I wanted to use the DDNS feature that comes built in with the S4 in router mode, also it kind of defeats the object of the device if it's not suitable for a pretty standard use case as a router it shouldn't offer the option. 

Options
2021-10-09 03:33:07

@Nbaronmorgan 

Hi, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers, and please help me check the following information as well:

1. please turn off the Mesh technology on the mobile devices that have the latency issue and check whether it improved the performance.

2. as for the Xbox, is it connected via Ethernet cable or 5ghz? And it is suggested to connect Xbox via Ethernet cable if possible.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-10-09 09:14:47

@TP-Link 

Hi Mobile devices seem fine as I don't really do video calls etc Xbox can be over 5ghz or powerline adapter, neither option removes issue.

Work PC is also over powerline or wifi, but there is a deco in the office. The issue seems much better in AP mode but as stated previously I'll lose function

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1564

Replies: 4

Related Articles