Parental control not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-07 00:31:04
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 210623 Rel.53973n

When I enable parental control as a white list to work at specified time, it blocks access to all websites and apps on specified time and outside it. 
Here is an example:

Enabled it for a device and added apple.com in the white list

Restricted the rule to work on Monday from 13 to 14 and on Friday from 19 to 20 and the current date is shown above at 10-5-2021

Now we are at 10:52 Tuesday "outside of the specified hours" so lets try to check the internet

Youtube app

apple.com

This will be the last time to make this complaint but I am really sad about how tplink become today. I was a big fan with tplink from around 10 years since the magnificent wr741Nd and 701. I didn't ever used any networking devices from any other company in the last 10 years. But nowdays tplink got really bad. I used vr300 before this device and it had also many problems and I didn't get any efficient support with it so I upgraded to the newer vr600 v3 and it was a disaster from auto rebooting to parental control and still didn't get any good support at all although this problem is over 1 year now. They didn't even add a new firmware to solve this problem. Only careless and helpless solutions like restart and reset the router. I hope any agent here take my complaint seriously otherwise I won't buy any product from Tplink anymore.

Regards

Options
6 Reply
Re:Parental control not working properly
2021-10-08 03:22:08

@Mohamed. 

Hi, for the parental control feature on the VR600, once the whitelist is enabled, only the added websites are allowed in the scheduled time.

While out of the scheduled time, all the websites would be blocked.

In another word, the default rule of parental control is to block websites.

So if users want to have no internet service at a specific time, we could just enable the parental control and choose the effective time, but leave the content restriction disabled.

So based on your configuration, under whitelist, www.apple.com is added.

In the scheduled time, only apple.com is accessible;

Outside of the scheduled time, all the websites are blocked.

So it is normal that you could not access any websites on 10:52 2021/10/5.

Since you have installed the beta firmware20210106 which modified the logical design(the later official firmware will optimize the logical design of parental control as well), it is suggested to reset the modem once again then check whether the parental control could work normally:

Outside of the scheduled time, no websites would be blocked under the whitelist.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-10-08 10:28:47 - last edited 2021-10-08 10:42:59

@TP-Link Thanks for your reply.

Just wanna tell you that apple websites and any other websites can’t work neither inside nor outside the selected time and there may be some strange behavior as apps like YouTube and TikTok may work inside selected hours when added to the white list for few minutes then suddenly stop working. 
Also sometimes parental control rule can work extremely normally for few days the bug return again.

Regarding the point of leaving content restriction disabled, I tried this and found that it works as if it was enabled as it was recently left for either on a black or white list. So if I used the rule as a black list then turned off content restriction, it will still work as a blacklist even if content restriction is off and the same with the white list, And if I reset the router and didn't open content restriction at all, it will work as if I choose black list.

I wish you didn't write (That is normal behavior) in your reply since the user manual officially created by Tplink shows that parental control should work only inside the selected time so if that bug was normal behavior as you wrote then why Tplink wrote this:  How to configure Parental Controls on the Wi-Fi Routers (case 1)? | TP-Link

So what I want is very clear: Officially released new firmware fixing all these issues 
I can't imagine how the leading device of a company that is not cheap can have a software bug for around one year and there isn't any useful solution to this issue. Please Tp-Link show some sort of respect to your customer. 

Options
2021-10-09 06:28:28

@Mohamed. 

Thanks for the update.

There will be new firmware available in the future to optimize the logical design of parental control.

As for the mentioned FAQ, I am afraid it needs to be updated since most of the applied models have a different web UI of parental control.

And This FAQ is mainly applied to wireless routers, and it is not quite suitable for DSL products.

Options
2021-10-09 17:52:08

@TP-Link When will the new firmware be released and is there any beta update over 1.4.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 210623 Rel.53973n ?

Options
2021-10-09 19:02:15

That is what is written in the user manual of the device specifically: In Whitelist mode, the controlled devices can only access websites containing
the specified keywords during the Effective Time period.
As you can see they didn't mention it will blocks access to all websites outside of selected hours@TP-Link 

Options
2022-02-02 06:37:19

@TP-Link 
Hello I was able to activate It was hard at first, but it activated But I realized that by using vpn all the restrictions are removed I think it's because ip you took it into account And it can be easily used by changing ip blush

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2055

Replies: 6

Related Articles