ISP blocking 3rd party DNS on router - can I use Archer D7 as a 'bridge' to Roku 3 TV box?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ISP blocking 3rd party DNS on router - can I use Archer D7 as a 'bridge' to Roku 3 TV box?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-18 08:13:32
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: latest

My ISP is not allowing 3rd party DNS setups, and appear to be blocking access to a users OWN modem settings such as changing your wifi password or SSID name- outrageous!

I have a Roku 3 box for TV and had been using Getflix DNS to watch UK TV. Unfortunately on this TV box you cannot set up a DNS or VPN on the device, so had been doing so via the router. As a temp' measure I had connected my chromebook to the TV via HDMI using Nord VPN, but having no remote for that it is a pain in the derriere to use!

I have a spare TP-Link Archer D7 modem which can go into 'bridge mode' and this has been suggested as a work around by setting this up with a new SSID, and setting up the DNS on that, then connecting the Roku via this. OK sounds easy - not!

Does anyone have any idea how to do this, and in fact if it will work? As a non-technical person, idiot proof instructions would help. At present, I cannot access my current router setup using all known TP link address such as 198.162.01 and others. Will this be an issue?

Many thanks.

zaza

Options
2 Reply
Re:ISP blocking 3rd party DNS on router - can I use Archer D7 as a 'bridge' to Roku 3 TV box?
2021-10-22 09:52:26

@zazahector 

Hi, the log-in access of D7 Is 192.168.1.1 or http://tplinkmodem.net

You could enable the WDS bridging on the D7 to create a new SSID but D7 does not allow to have its own DNS setting, it could copy the one from the host network which is your ISP router.

In this way, I don’t think D7 could be a suitable device for you.

Options
Re:ISP blocking 3rd party DNS on router - can I use Archer D7 as a 'bridge' to Roku 3 TV box?
2021-10-22 10:38:42

@TP-Link 

Many thanks for the reply.

Could I swap the D& as my main router and use the TL-WR940N as the bridge? would that work? And if so, how would I do that?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 341

Replies: 2