Wired connection to pc through secondary router acting as bridge?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-04 16:26:02 - last edited 2021-11-04 16:34:23

I've recently moved to germany and I'll finally have internet besides phone data. The problem is that the router/modem will be installed in my brothers room since its the once room where the fiber/adsl connections comes out from. Our rooms are pretty far apart, im on the second floor, above him.

Is there a way i could use a wired connection in my room as well?.My pc has wifi but its old, i tried it at my friends house and the ping was arround 50-60 compared to 20/25 wired. Our internet connection will be 150 or 300MB/s.

I thought of getting a secondary router, preferably tplink since im familiar with them for my room and bridging it with the main one wirelessly, Id then use an ethernet cable to connect to my pc. Would that work?.

Or should i make it a repeater or an access point? Im kinda clueless when it comes to this.

Thanks for replies in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wired connection to pc through secondary router acting as bridge?
2021-11-04 21:52:59

@yudoku 

You could use an Archer C64 for example. It's a budget friendly device and can handle 1gbps WAN/LAN connections.

You have two options:

1. C64 supports WDS bridging - that'a wireless connection between the two routers. But that's not always possible - it depends on the main router make and model.

2. If that doesn't work for you, you can set C64 in AP mode (Case 1) and connect an ethernect cable between the routers (if possible).

I would recommend the latter since wired connections are always better in terms of speed and stability.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-05 01:41:21

@yudoku 

Hi, Thank you very much for the advice of terziyski.

If you considering WDS bridging,  A wireless range extender would be  a little bit better:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/range-extender/?filterby=4860 

Or if the whole house is under same electric meter/circuit, the power-line adapters are also worth a try.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/?filterby=5793%2C4895%7C4896

Options
2021-11-05 09:45:52
I agree on that. My suggestion was based on the OP request for a secondary router.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 429

Replies: 3