Solved - Archer VR2800 Empty Client List

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-12 17:13:38 - last edited 2021-12-24 08:40:50
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.7.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 210313 Rel.74106n

Like many others with TP-Link routers I had the problem of an empty Client List (both wireless and wired) on my Archer VR2800. This was true when I logged in from my main PC, tablet, phone and another PC.

I tried all of the usual things (firmware upgrade, factory reset, DHCP off/on etc.).

Nothing seemed to solve the problem.

My Archer runs in DSL Router mode with two RE305 extenders (wire connected) running as Access Points in other areas of the house. I have just over twenty clients both wired and wireless.

I ended up disconnecting all Ethernet cables and switching off all devices with a wireless connection. I then turned on my tablet, connected wirelessly, logged into the router and could see the tablet on the client list. Turned on my phone and that appeared.

I then added devices one by one. When I plugged in the cable to my main PC the client list wasn’t available on the tablet. Disabled the Ethernet connection on the PC and the client list was again available on the tablet.

On the PC I went into the Ethernet connection (properties configure) and unchecked ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ then ‘OK’.

Low and behold the Client List was now full both on PC and tablet.

I’ve no idea why the power management settings for the NIC would cause this. Must be something to do with it interfering with the ARP packets the Archer uses to populate the client list.

Hope this helps somebody with the same problem!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Solved - Archer VR2800 Empty Client List
2021-11-18 02:18:42 - last edited 2021-11-18 02:20:37

@Istari 

Brilliant! 

I would like to pin it on the first page to share with more users.

Thank you very much.

Istari wrote

Like many others with TP-Link routers I had the problem of an empty Client List (both wireless and wired) on my Archer VR2800. This was true when I logged in from my main PC, tablet, phone and another PC.

I tried all of the usual things (firmware upgrade, factory reset, DHCP off/on etc.).

Nothing seemed to solve the problem.

[Solutions]

On the PC I went into the Ethernet connection (properties configure) and unchecked ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ then ‘OK’.

Low and behold the Client List was now full both on PC and tablet.

Options
Re:Solved - Archer VR2800 Empty Client List
2021-11-18 12:29:39

@TP-Link 

That's great!

This was driving me up the wall so just hope it helps someone else.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 951

Replies: 2