New router keeps dropping Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-28 02:46:20
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.7.0.0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 210313 Rel.74106n

Im with BT (UK) and bought a VR2800 modem router. Got everything powered up and connected, entered the standard bthomehub@btbroadband.com / BT combination for username and password and setup both bands of wifi with passwords.

I started adding thru the mobile Tether app my devices (phones, tabets, tvs etc) one by one so I could add the name of the device one by one.

With 10 devices connected, everything worked well. Then everything lost wifi, neither band could be found on any device. The lights on the router were all white. I rebooted the router (power off button) then powered up.

Again, wifi was back but all the connected devices' names were gone in the app so I have a list of "Unknown" device instead of knowing what they were.

About 40 minutes later, while watching youtube, the wifi was lost to the telly. I looked on my phone and sure enough, no wifi, and no bands visible.

I'm now sat here on my PC which is hard wired to the router, and the web router page is extremely slow, shows nothing on the wireless tab.

My phone is right beside the router and does not pick up either of the wifi bands.

So far not impressed. Am I going to have to restart the router every 40 minutes, and lose the connected devices names each time?

Options
12 Reply
Re:New router keeps dropping Wifi
2021-11-28 21:50:38
hello, if I can suggest some steps before the Tp-LInk staff intervenes, excluding the power supply since wired it works, try to reset the modem with the reset button, then update the firmware to the latest version available for your country. Then redo the configuration if possible by hand, without using the backup. So doing sometimes the problem is solved magically.
Options
2021-11-29 20:44:37 - last edited 2021-11-29 20:45:44

(I am on the latest firmware available according to TP Link Tech Support)

I was on with TP Link tech support yesterday and they ran me thru changing channels. Every time I changed and saved a setting it seemed to freeze the browser for minutes.

Since then it had run pretty well with no dropouts, but then just now I tried to watch a movie on my LG TV from a NAS via the wifi and the video was unusually stuttery, and then stopped with a message, "Your device has disconnected".

When i looked at my iPhone, sure enough, both bands were gone from the wifi list and nothing was connected anymore (echo device, tv, ipads).  I rebooted router till it came back, and tried to stream once more and the same happened.

I'm getting really sick of this new router, it just feels broken at the moment. Great range, zero reliability.

Tomorrow I will get back on with tech support, I have a reference number to continue the conversation from so. If it cant be properly fixed I'll be returning it.

Options
2021-11-30 07:46:29
.. if you have activated the QOS + DDOS functions on your modem the modem tends to decrease the speed and this is also written in the information but instead it tends to stop after 10-15 minutes at the most it is not written anywhere, certainly a bug which has never been solved but I can't tell you if it also affects the WI-FI modules up to causing their interruption (Probable overheating and consequent protection of the modules as a consequence? I don't know!)
Options
2021-11-30 08:18:43

@Nomadski 

Hi, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers directly, and please check if you have got an email from me.

At the same time, Could you please help me check some information first:

When the internet lost again, please hold on for a while and log into the web interface:

1. please save the system log file on the modem and send to me.

2. please save a picture of the advanced>status page

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-30 08:39:13
Hi Tp-Link, I don't know if the answer is for me or @Nomadski, as far as I am concerned, I never gave the weight it deserved because in Italy we are still in the Beta version of 2019, and as we know in the beta versions, discrepancies or small malfunctions or problems are completely normal, this is the reason why in a previous post I asked when the final version also saw EOL of the product, but if you want anyway I can send you everything you ask even if it is a version beta, in the meantime I can begin to say that if I activate the QOS + DDOS (DDOS at the maximum of its potential) the modem always tends to decrease the speed constantly and in 10-15 minutes it lets only a few Kb from the internet pass, just deactivate the DDOS that the speed resumes, disabling both you get the maximum speed ever. But being a Beta as I said ... it was certainly not correct to complain, I was waiting for the final version with the various fixes and any other improvements ... but we are still there!
Options
2021-11-30 15:11:42 - last edited 2021-11-30 15:21:32

@TP-Link 

Thanks, I did contact tech support after writing the post as I got another drop while watching a YouTube video in my bedroom and after an hour and a half they came to the conclusion there was something defective with the router. 

They offered an RMA but having just bought from Amazon on Friday I have instead ordered a replacement from them as I want to keep the option for a refund open if a replacement has the same behaviour. 

If I do get a WiFi drop with the replacement I will certainly follow your instructions and get the log so you can take a look at it before I make a decision on next steps. 

I should add that when I do get a drop, the web interface is incredibly sluggish, changing tabs takes about 30 seconds etc. Only turning router on and off from the button at the back gets the web interface (as well as the WiFi) back to normal. Normal wired internet wasn't affected at all for other sites. 

I get the replacement on the 2nd Dec so. 

Options
2021-12-01 16:17:47

@TP-Link 

While I'm still waiting for my new router, I came home today and the wifi was down again. I tried to go to the standard web address of the router but the page couldn't be accessed, even from my wired PC.

Very much hope this replacement is functional.

Options
2021-12-01 22:05:52
.. well if it does not even let you enter its Web page, in all probability the problem is Hardware, then the RMA seems to me the only solution, wait for the new router to arrive (it should be there for tomorrow!) and then it unleash.
Options
2021-12-04 22:47:41

Well I got the new router, been running it for a few days, with no issues at all so it looks like I just got a model first time that had fallen off the conveyor belt or something.

Strangely even though it's an identical model with same model number and box, this one came with a cable with the transformer in the plug, whereas the first one had a two part cable with a transformer box?

Ah well, all good now.

Options
2021-12-05 22:25:38
Did you do the RMA directly at the TP-Link office in your country, or at your usual dealer?
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 998

Replies: 12

Related Articles