Frequently Asked Questions on Deco Firmware Update

2021-12-02 08:54:54 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:28:46

Q1: How to update Deco firmware?

A1: Check this guide for How to Update the Firmware of Deco.

Q2: Do I have to get internet service in order to update Deco firmware?
A1: 

Method 1- via Deco APP---Yes, you do.
Method 2- via the web interface---No, you don’t.
Method 3- via upgrade tool---No.

Q3: Why Deco APP says my firmware is up to date while there is a new firmware available on the official website?
A3: The firmware upgrade is applied in sequence to the correct devices during the release process. So not all users get the new firmware notification in the first place. It is suggested to check for the firmware upgrades on a regular basis.

Q4: Can I update the firmware which is not for my country?
A4: It is suggested to always stick to your local official websites. And it is welcome to comment below if there is a long delay on the local website for the new firmware release.

Q5: if I am on V1, can I use V2/V3 firmware?
A5: NO, you can't. Even though you notice some firmware versions are the same for V1/V2/V3, it is still recommended to use their separate firmware links.

Q6: If I am on Vx.2/x.6/x.8, which firmware am I supposed to use?

A6: Please check on the local official firmware to see if there is a separate section for Vx.2/x.6. For example:

Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8(eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8); Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8(eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28). And please do ask if you still are puzzled.

Q7: If there are different firmware versions in one kit, can I still update the firmware via Deco APP?
A7: Yes, you can. But there is a slight chance that one of the Deco might fail to update.
If you do, please log into the web UI of this individual Deco and upload the firmware separately.
How to get the IP of this Deco:

Q8: Can I downgrade firmware back to the original version?
A8: It depends. For example, if you are on 1.5.3 or 1.5.4, you could update to 1.5.7, then downgrade back to 1.5.3/1.5.4(the firmware downgrade process is quite the same as firmware upgrade); but if you are on 1.4.x or 1.2.x, once the firmware is updated to 1.5.x, it could not be downgraded.
Normally, it would be mentioned on the firmware release note and if there is no such notice, do ask before you update the firmware.

Q9: Is power outage allowed during the firmware upgrade?
A9: No, it will brick the router and break the warranty.

Q10: How to run a firmware recovery if Deco was bricked?
A10: How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

Let us know if you have other inquiries about Deco firmware updates.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Frequently Asked Questions on Deco Firmware Update
2022-02-07 17:48:57

@TP-Link about firmware not available in a local TP-Link site: we still have not the ability to update to the latest firmware for Deco m3W in France. In the French website the firmware version is 1.0.6 when version 1.0.7 exists for US for example.

Options
2022-02-08 11:26:04

@Nardol 

Thank you for the notification and I do see some feedback about it as well.

I did check with the engineers before and the 1.0.7 firmware could be used on both US and EU versions.

But due to unknown reasons, the EU firmware link was delayed for quite a while.

Options
2022-02-23 06:54:04

@TP-Link  When the Deco Firmware is utilized in conjunction with an older Deco model that does not support Wi-Fi 6E, you will not be able to take use of the 6GHz backhaul.

Check out my web : 

Options
2022-02-24 03:24:23

@jessiryder 

Hi, I tend to think it might be a hardware limitation, and could not be implemented via a firmware upgrade.

Options
2022-06-16 08:56:46

@David-TP I've just checked and M3W firmware is still out to date for Eu.

Is it planned to also release it for Europe? Just curious as I replaced my M3W in favor of another M5 to avoid loosing so much features.

Options
2022-06-16 09:00:31

@David-TP another question: what is the maximum delay before receiving the push notification in Deco app when there is an update?

Options
2022-06-17 02:12:09

AlonK

Hi, V3.8 used the same version as V3.

Nardol

Actually, I did not know the answer either.

For example, the latest firmware for Deco M9 plus V2 is 1.5.6 but sometimes, I still see some users are on the 1.2.12 version till now.

For the last few days, I haven't seen any users mention they got the notification via Deco APP and I guess it still needs quite some time.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-07 09:47:33

@TP-Link 

I have two "Deco M9 plus V2.0 EU" device and with the latest Deco App (from Google PlayStore) I search for firmware update.

Sadly it is printing out that my "1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727" firmware is up-to-date.

In the website I see that for "V2.0" there is a "Deco M9 Plus(EU)_V2&V2.2_1.5.6_211018" firmware, so I shall be able to update.

Meanwhile I have downloaded the Deco update tool (M9Plus_2.0_upgrade_tool_v1.2.0_win.exe), but sadly the login is not working.

I have checked the owner in Deco App and the password is correct too ( login was working with the same user and password to Deco App).

I have checked the troubleshooting page:

Disabled all virtual adapters too. (I can ping my main Deco' IP address)

Tp-link ID is for owner and not for manager. I have not setup any manager.

Tp-link ID has all lower case letters.

My Main Deco has no webpage as it is lower than firmware 1.4.  (http://tplinkdeco.net/ not working)

Can someone help me how can I update my Decos?

Options
2022-08-07 12:44:00 - last edited 2022-08-07 12:45:49

@AndrasN 

>http://tplinkdeco.net/ not working

Have you tried http://tplinkdeco.net:30000

That works on some older versions of firmware

Also, have you tried these both links, but with Main Deco IP address instead of tplinkdeco.net? If your Deco mesh has default router configuration, these would be:

http://192.168.68.1

http://192.168.68.1:30000

Options
2022-08-07 13:03:22

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for the quick help.

My Main Deco is  set to "192.168.0.1"

1. I have tried "tplinkdeco[dot]net:30000", but no success. Not found.

2. I have tried "192.168.0.1:30000" which then jumped immediately to "/webpages/login.html" but there I got the message:

"Not Found

The requested URL /webpages/login.html was not found on this server."

It is hard to write here URL-s as I get always this "Content or title contains illegal external links." message and I can not post it. frown

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5014

Replies: 10

Related Articles