deco s4 keeps loosing internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 16:20:51 - last edited 2021-12-11 20:38:09
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

after successfully setting up the mesh network I find periodically all of the decos loose connection to the internet. All devices maintain the connection to decos but the app lists all decos as having no internet. The modem that feeds the main deco still has a connection to the WAN, and I can access the internet through that device just fine. After rebooting everything works until the next episode. This seems to happen multiple times a day.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:deco s4 keeps loosing internet-Solution
2021-12-07 02:54:06 - last edited 2021-12-11 20:38:09

@Kylek 

Hi, thank you a lot for your feedback.

It is suggested to install the firmware on this link to have a look:

[Solution] Wireless clients and Satellite Deco fail to connect to Main Deco under Spectrum / Starhub

How to Update the Firmware of Deco

At the same time, may I know who is your internet service provider?

Did any Deco turn red when the internet dropped out?

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:deco s4 keeps loosing internet-Solution
2021-12-07 02:54:06 - last edited 2021-12-11 20:38:09

@Kylek 

Hi, thank you a lot for your feedback.

It is suggested to install the firmware on this link to have a look:

[Solution] Wireless clients and Satellite Deco fail to connect to Main Deco under Spectrum / Starhub

How to Update the Firmware of Deco

At the same time, may I know who is your internet service provider?

Did any Deco turn red when the internet dropped out?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:deco s4 keeps loosing internet
2021-12-11 20:38:02

thanks, that seemed to do it. Yes, all decos would turn red. My isp is Century link.

Options
2021-12-13 06:53:27

@Kylek 

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Please feel free to update here if you need further help.

Options
2021-12-13 17:14:06

The firmware update improved but I still get the disconnect once in a while. The modem is up and running but S4 seem to lose the WAN connection. 

Options
2022-01-08 20:26:37

@Kylek 

I too have had issue dropping on Spectrum. We did have a service tech visit and he did find some minor packet loss which he fixed.  It ran fairly well that evening and the following day with some slight pixeling and buffering.  Yesterday it was bad, totally dropping out.  We run all day starting about 5AM, and it normally is bad after 7PM.  During the day 2 TV's, a Desktop, and Laptop using Teams.  During the evening it normally just 2 TV's and an IPad.

I did change the DNS to open source today to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and we will see if that makes a difference.

Would appreciate any help.

Options
2022-01-09 00:18:27

I did want to add that we did swap the router per Spectrum's recommendation to a newer DOCSIS 3.1 model, which did help.  It is cheap one, model  EU2251.

I am running the latest firmware too.

Options
2022-01-09 00:20:02
Sorry, there is no edit function, but meant to say modem not router.
Options
2022-01-09 03:58:31

I added a router from another manufacturer and set deco to access point mode. So the traffic goes from

ISP <-----> Modem <-----> Router <-----> Deco

this seem to completely fix the issues, the router is doing NAT, DHCP, routing instead of Deco. I did buy a small business wired router with RouterOS which may be difficult to configure without basic networking knowledge. But I would highly recommend adding a IP layer device to shield of Deco from directly communicating to the modem. Since I have 5 Deco nodes throughout the house, this was more cost efficient way to fix than buying a new set of mesh network device from different manufacturers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 799

Replies: 8